Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion H9-1250t
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm adding a Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB to my Pavilion H9-1250t running Windows 10. I initially set it up as RAID configuration. With this configuration I was unable to fully utilize the SSD software to setup the drive and all partitions showed up as removable devices in file manager, two entries per drive. They show Zero size and not accsesable, but are taking up drive assignment slots. The SSD was setup with 4 partitions. The only partition that is accessible is the one that is setup for data and the largest partition.

To try to resolve the above issues, I reconfigured the storage controller as AHCI and was able to fully utilize the SSD utilities, but all partitions still showed up as removagle drives. The other problem I experienced when using AHCI is that I was not able to see 2 additional SATA drives that were origionally established as RAID drives, one of which is the original OS drive which is now failing. Do all drives have to be setup on same controller configuration to be able to see them?

Should the controller be set to RAID or AHCI? I understand that RAID offers the AHCI capabilities, but not sure this is best config for SSD.

UPDATE: After going into the BIOS to verify that the devices were recognized and exiting without saving the 2 SATA RAID drives are now available.  So at this point all 3 physical drives and RAID partitions are available.  Only 1 partition is accessible of the 4 on the SSD and all 4 partitions are still showing as removable drives in file manager.

Questions still open:

Is there a way to set SSD up so that they don't show up as removable disks?

Should I be able to see and access all partitions that were established upon setup?

Lots going on here. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

after read your doubts, im 100% sure about You don'tknow too much about RAID, i recomend first read and watch videos on youtube before did that. Because RAID is not for beginners and you can lose all you data.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.