Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 595
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hey all,

So I'm working with an external hardware unit (Focusrite's Clarett 8Pre USB) and it has a Thunderbolt output. I use this device to record audio and send it to my computer tower, an HP Pavilion 595 - p0084. Issue is, the desktop doesn't come with a Thunderbolt port, so I've been connecting it so a USB 3.1 (I believe?) Type-C SS port. I would like to possibly get an expansion card to add Thunderbolt (any gen) to the tower, but I don't know what products are available and I don't know what's compatible. Could somebody provide me with a list of possible expansion cards (if any)?

Also, can I assume that the USB data transfer rate is the maximum of the SS port since the Thunderbolt output on the Clarett is faster? 

Thanks in advance for any help. 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Yes, you have the Lincs motherboard.

I don't think this motherboard has a thunderbolt 3 header.

Regards

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi,

As far as I know you need Thunderbolt support on the MB to do this.

Regards

HP Recommended

How would I be able to check if the motherboard supports this?

HP Recommended

Hi ,

Thunderbolt support is usually reserved for higher end motherboards.

I don't believe the Lincs (Link) motherboard supports this.

Maybe another from member has first hand experience.

Regards

HP Recommended

And the Lincs motherboard is what is in my PC?

HP Recommended

Hi,

Yes, you have the Lincs motherboard.

I don't think this motherboard has a thunderbolt 3 header.

Regards

HP Recommended

Alright. Disappointing to hear, but thank you very much for your help! 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're very welcome.

I could be wrong but I have never seen a HP consumer motherboard having a thunderbolt header. The add in Thunderbolt adapter needs to connect to a header on the motherboard. The motherboard chipset needs Thunderbolt support.

Regards

HP Recommended

Would you happen to know if the way I currently have the device set up (feeding to an SS Usb-C) is operating as fast as these SS ports can go, since a Thunderbolt output is feeding to it?

HP Recommended

Hi,

The top speed is determined by the lowest link in the chain.

To the best of my knowledge USB 3.1 Type C can theoretically do 10 Gbps.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.