Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP envy tower
Microsoft Windows 10 IOT

Actually, I don't know which W10 I have.  

easy question.  want to add a HD to my Envy Tower.  Where can I find instructions and anything I should consider in attempting this?  FWIW, I've worked on PC hardware quite a bit

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Indeed, but sometimes it is specified whether it is suitable for 2.5 and or 3.5 hard drive, so pay attention to that anyway!
Also prefer a usb 3 connector.
If you have any doubts (not always easy online) go directly to a store, if possible

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi

please give the product number

HP Desktop PCs - How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number? | HP® Customer Support

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

LMXS30776D

TE01-0014

HP Recommended
Product Number
6YQ60AA

is it this one ?

TE01-0014 Product Specifications

if so, you will have to check anyway
 you have a m2 ssd

motherboard specifications, Rother
there are sata slots on the motherboard, but I can't tell if there is an HDD cage
just as there may not be a power cable for the sata disk, you may need a particular cable (hdd power in the picture)
unless it is possible to use an adapter from the one in the dvd player, i dont know what is in place ..

in document we only have this:

Upgrading and Servicing Guide

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

Bummer.  I may be forced to buy a case.  My goal is to copy data from the previous PC HD to the new HD

HP Recommended

I am not sure I understood correctly
but if you ever have no choice
You can buy an adapter to turn this hdd into an external drive, you can easily connect it to usb on this new computer

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

So all I need is an adapter and no case?  I'm in.  How do I know which adapter?

HP Recommended

If your other hard drive is a SATA you can use an adapter just like this:

https://www.amazon.fr/Inateck-Adaptateur-Convertisseur-Alimentation-Externe/dp/B00N4JLNXM/ref=sr_1_6...

Simply search on the sales sites of your country
You can use an adapter with additional power, like this one
But there are some very simple without power, but it could work less well depending on the hard drive
You can also choose a case, more complete, in which the disc will be better protected.

remember to mark the solution if it suits you

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

Thanks for the response.  I'm in the USA and have a Seagate ST500DM02.  All I want to do is connect it to my PC, suck the data into a 3TB solid state, and I'm done with it.

It sounds like you're saying an SATA adapter is generic.  One adapter will fit all SATAs.  If that's true, I'm happy.  Do I have that right?

HP Recommended

Indeed, but sometimes it is specified whether it is suitable for 2.5 and or 3.5 hard drive, so pay attention to that anyway!
Also prefer a usb 3 connector.
If you have any doubts (not always easy online) go directly to a store, if possible

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.