Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy 750-514
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I purchased an HP Desktop Envy model 750-514 several months ago, and now want to install a WD30ZRX 3TB SATA harddrive to store additional data (it already has data files on it from an older computer). The new desktop came with an SSD drive as well as a 1 TB hard drive already installed.

There are three SATA receptacles on the mother board, two go to the originally installed hard drives and one goes to the CD player. I do not plan on using the CD player, soI have unplugged the SATA cable that originally connected to the CD player and plugged it into the newly installed WD30ZRX hard drive.

My problem is that the power cables that run to the (two) originally installed internal drives do not have a receptacle (Y-connector) for plugging in a third hard drive. The power cable from the CD drive has only two wires (1 red and 1 black). Do I need some kind of adaptor so the power goes to SD drive #1, hard drive #2 and now #3 (the WD30ZRX) ..or can I just insert the "two wire" plug from the CD player into the power receptacle on the WD30ZRX?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

It looks like this :  StarTech.com 4x SATA Power Splitter Cable (PYO4SATA) )should do the trick.  Does anyone out there think that this is not the correct solution?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.