Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Hp Pavillion Gaming Desktop 690-0073w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I have never worked on the internals of computers before so I need some help. I'm planning on upgrading my desktop with a Western Digital 2tb 3.5" hard drive and I was wondering if I need to purchase mounting screws and a sata power/data cable (or do both of these come included inside the desktop?) Also do I need a mounting bracket or is that included inside the desktop?

Thanks for any responses.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@BeardedChewbacc,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I reviewed your post and I understand that you want to know whether you need to buy mounting screws and cable to install a new hard drive on the computer.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

Are you planning to add a second hard drive on the computer? If yes, then you need to buy the cable and the screws.

Please refer to the below link for more information on upgrading the hard drive.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05934592

I hope that answers your question and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@BeardedChewbacc,

The SATA power comes from an 8 pin plug on the motherboard, not the power supply. If your unit does not have that specific cable, it is $56 USD and a 6-8 week wait, if you could find a vendor.  If you configured the unit with a DVD drive, then the HD power plug is on that cable. If the drive seems smaller than the bay, that would be an indication that HP blue solation screws are needed.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

I had the case open for upgrading to 32GB of ram. Turns out there was a SATA cable and power connector right there, so I installed a 640GB 3.5" 7200rpm internal hard drive (I "borrowed" one of the case screws to tighten it down).

So, properly, you need to purchase screws, but the cables are in place, at least on my 690-0073w. There also a slot for another HDD. The power connector is there, but you'd need a SATA cable and screws for that one.

--*\__/*--
HP Pavilion 690-0073w new 12/2019
i5-9400, 2x16GB Patriot DDR4 2666, GTX 1660 Ti, added 640GB 3.5" HDD
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.