Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
omen 25L
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Is it easy to add a PCI ssd chip or SATA ssd drive to my OMEN 25L?  Mine was not configurable when I bought it.  I think it has a micro atx so adding to available slots may require a lot of disassembly which I doubt I'm up for.  I trying to add a scratch drive.  I want to also remove my hdd and replace it with an sdd.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@ssamalin , welcome to the forum.

What is the Product Number of the computer? I need this information to review the specifications of it. Please don't furnish the Serial # or other personal information. You can find the Product Number at the bottom of the page when you open HP Support Assistant.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

GT12-0235se  Is that a product number?  I just ordered it.   I ordered a 2.5" sata ssd drive and an M.2 card.  I hope there's no tricks to installing them.  I also plan to remove my hard drive.  I hope all of that is plug and play.  I looked at a 120mm liquid cpu cooler,  but that's for some other time.   Maybe if I set the processor to 99% performance (not100%) it keeps it a lot cooler.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @ssamalin!

The number that you provided is the model number, but it worked fine.  Here is the Product Number: 3UR06AA.

According to the Product Specifications the computer comes with a 512 GB PCIe NVMe M.2 Solid-State drive and a 1 TB SATA 7200 RPM hard drive: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/omen-desktop-pc-25l-gt12-0000i/33492320/model/37779063/document...

Look at the section titled "Hard drives" for this information.  This means that the M.2 socket is already populated.  I am not certain that you needed to order a new M.2.  There is only one M.2 socket on the motherboard for a SSD.  It is not a Configure To Order (CTO) computer.  Therefore, you should not have had to chose any components.

Here are all of the Manuals for the computer: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/omen-desktop-pc-25l-gt12-0000i/33492320/model/37779063/manuals

Also, here is the Upgrading and Servicing Guide: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06867759

It has all of the information on removing and adding the main components.

Please check the model again to assure that you gave me the correct Model Number.

HP Recommended

ok no m.2 card changes because there's only the system card.   What about the 2.5 and 3.5 sata internal bays?  The 3.5 has the hdd which  I can switch to a 2.5 sata sdd drive with a holder right?  The 2.5 can have a second sata sdd with a sata power splitter cable.  Plug and play?  The manual says both bays are occupied which I can't understand since there's only the HDD.  Any of this of course nulls my warranty.  So maybe I have to put up with the USB external sata for now and/or use the HDD too.   Maybe external Sata sdd is faster than the HDD. 

The other issue is heat.  I am going to be editing huge video files with software that beats on the graphics card.   I'd really like to get a cooler on the gpu, if not also the cpu, and maybe extra fans.  I have high hopes for the 99% power/performance CPU setting to help.

It seems the plan is use as is and rely on Best Buy if needed to replace the gpu and whatever else.   O well, I just hope this thing can edit video as is.  If it keeps blowing fuses or is too slow, I may have to do some mods after all.

HP Recommended

@ssamalin 

@ssamalin wrote:

ok no m.2 card changes because there's only the system card.   What about the 2.5 and 3.5 sata internal bays?  The 3.5 has the hdd which  I can switch to a 2.5 sata sdd drive with a holder right?  Yes, you can add a 2.5" SSD in a 3.5" bay using an adapter: https://www.newegg.com/startech-bracket225pt-2-x-2-5-drive-to-3-5-bay/p/N82E16817998245?Description=...

This is just one of many examples of the adapter that you can use.

The 2.5 can have a second sata sdd with a sata power splitter cable.  Plug and play? Yes, plug and play if you are using it as a storage drive.  You do have to go into Disk Management and right click on the drive and select "Mark Partition as Active" so it will be recognized by the system.  Otherwise, you won't be able to use it.

The manual says both bays are occupied which I can't understand since there's only the HDD. The only reason for this would be if there was an optical drive (DVD ROM).

Any of this of course nulls my warranty.  So maybe I have to put up with the USB external sata for now and/or use the HDD too.   Maybe external Sata sdd is faster than the HDD. No, this does NOT void your warranty, as long as, you don't damage any of the other components.  There are ways for HP to know if the computer was changed, however.

The other issue is heat.  I am going to be editing huge video files with software that beats on the graphics card.   I'd really like to get a cooler on the gpu, if not also the cpu, and maybe extra fans.  I have high hopes for the 99% power/performance CPU setting to help. If you are going to add more fans you should assure that you maintain a positive airflow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NYHC3DXynM&feature=emb_logo

It seems the plan is use as is and rely on Best Buy if needed to replace the gpu and whatever else.   O well, I just hope this thing can edit video as is.  If it keeps blowing fuses or is too slow, I may have to do some mods after all. I will be very surprised if it doesn't do everything that you need.  It has top of the line components for every important function.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.