Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP M01-F0033w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Can I add a second hard drive to this computer? If so, how?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I was finally able to see that there are actually 3 SATA data connections on this motherboard. Difficult to see the markings on the motherboard. A good picture or map of the motherboard would be of great help.

I used one of the SATA cables from my dead computer to make the connection and all works well now.

Thanks to all for the assistance!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Without more information, the only answer is "maybe."

I'm looking at a few different websites that talk about that motherboard (HP took down their description).

If I understand correctly, that motherboard has one SATA port and one M.2 port for drives.

Depending on how you might have customized the PC upon purchase, you might either have one SATA drive, one M.2 drive, or one of each.

If you open the "This PC" window on your computer, how many drives to you have?

If you only have one hard drive (eg. the C:\ drive), and no CD/DVD/Blue-Ray drive, chances are that you still have one slot open for another drive.

If you were to open the door to your computer, and look at the motherboard, would you recognize an open M.2 or SATA port?

If yes, you should be able to safely buy just about any drive that would be compatible with that open slot.

If the answer is no, I mean absolutely no offense by this, but you may want to consider calling up a geek and having them take a look, and let them make a suggestion, and possibly install it for you.

HP Recommended

I did not remove the connector from the motherboard. The hard drive already had a power supply splitter, so I connected that to the second hard drive and then moved the 7-pin connector from the DVD drive to the second hard drive. However, this does not allow use of the DVD drive. I would like to find the correct data cable that will plug into the motherboard and that will provide two connections to the hard drives so I can use the DVD drive again. Any suggestions of which cable I need?

HP Recommended

Do you by chance know what a PCIe slot looks like?  It's a raised plug that would accept about a 1" flat card.

If that slot is still open on your motherboard, you can purchase a "PCIe SATA expansion card," which will allow you to plug in additional SATA devices simultaneously.  

They make cards with any number of expansion slots.

If you split the SATA power cable between two drives, and plug in both their data cables into the PCIe expansion card, you theoretically should be able to use both the DVD drive and your second internal drive at the same time.

HP Recommended

Seems that there are data line splitters that should connect to the motherboard on one end and the two drives on the other - similar to the power supply lines. Not sure what connection is on the motherboard side. The data connector at the drives should be a 7-pin connector.

HP Recommended

I've never heard of a SATA data Y cable, but SATA power Y cable, yes.

Those PCIe expansion cards are not expensive, FYI.  $20 or so.

If you're not sure if you have an open PCIe slot, just Google "PCIe slot," look at the images, and compare to what you've got.

HP Recommended

I need to open the box to see what connector is on the motherboard. There is a 36 pin to 4 7-pin connector cable available. I would just like to be certain before I purchase one. I didn't look all that closely when I made the other changes. I will look to see what PCIe connections or M.2 connections are also available. Thanks!

TimR71_0-1609789384939.png

HP Recommended

Be aware you are showing me a Mini SAS-to-SATA splitter, not a SATA-to-SATA splitter.

Mini SAS and SATA are not the same thing.

I do not believe your motherboard has a MINI SAS connection.

Even if you were to find a SATA Y-splitter, you would need to be certain your motherboard would know what to do with it, which is not guaranteed.

The PCIe expansion card is a much safer bet, just buy it from a brand you've heard of, and ensure there are drivers for the version of Windows that you use.

HP Recommended

@TimR71 

There are two 3.5" drive positions, as shown in the video. Follow the power lead off the existing hard drive, the cable has another sata power tap.  The Erica2 motherboard does support PCIex4 NMVe SSD.  Such would be 5-7 times faster than your existing 1TB hard drive.

With proper research and references come knowledge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXWuTjthKss

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
Learn how to replace the drive cage for HP 280 G5 MT, HP ENVY TE01-000, Pavilion TP01-000, TG01-000, HP M01-D0000, F0000 Desktop. For other helpful videos go to http://hp.com/supportvideos or http://youtube.com/hpsupport. More support options for your HP device are available at ...
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.