Post new question
Question

Student
Message 1 of 2 (147 Views)

Am I Able To Upgrade My PC

Product Name: Pavilion 500 189
Hi! I have an HP Pavilion 500 189. I was wondering if I will be able to put a new power supply and Graphics card in here without any limitations?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Associate Professor
Message 2 of 2 (89 Views)

Re: Am I Able To Upgrade My PC

Hi Biggie

Sure, you can do some mods to your PC. There will be limitations.

You have a 300 watt power supply (PS) now. Measure the dimensions of the existing PS. Power supplies usually grow in length as you increase the wattage output. Your 300 watt is probably around 5 to 6 inches long.

Then replace with a PS having more wattage. 500 or 600 watt power supplies will usually have similar dimensions and provide enough power to drive newer AMD or Nvidia graphics cards. Make sure the new PS has supplemental PCIe power connectors. You will need this to power some of the faster, power hungry graphics cards.

One limitation is your PCIe x16 graphics card slot is version 2.0. The latest graphics cards run at version 3.0 but will work on version 2.0.  Data transfer is slightly affected.

You will also have to measure along the PCIe x16 slot to determine how long the card can be. Also verify you can install a dual slot card.

Nvidia offers graphics cards that will work with a 300 watt power supply.

You will have to upgrade the PS if you want a faster Nvidia or AMD graphics card.

Grzy

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation