Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HPE h8-1240t

I blew up my h8-1240t motherboard. Or so it seems because the computer doesn't turn on nor even make any noise or sign.

I am trying to replace the motherboard with one from a Dell desktop. The "new" mobo works fine with my CPU and RAM; it starts just fine with Dells PSU, but when I install the "new mobo" into my HP desktop case it won't turn on; led indicators show that there's a PSU/Motherboard error. I finally realized that the problem is HP's PSU because when I "transplant" Dell's PSU the new mobo works. The bad thing is that Dell's PSU is about 250w and I need 300w (which is my HPs PSU). Counting and comparing the 24 pin connector wires I noticed that HPs PSU does not have a blue wire: it has 2 null points out of the 24 pins. Dell's PSU has a blue wire and only 1 null points out the 24 pins (I compared with two PSUs from different Dell desktops).

Does anyone know if I can do something on my HPs PSU to make the other mobo work? I wouldn't want to buy a new PSU.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Gdanielz, welcome to the forum.

I am not aware of any proprietary PSU's in Omen computers.  I have helped numerous members upgrade their PSU's without any problems.  They all used standard ATX PSU's.  Here is the PSU that came with your computer from Walmart.  It shows regular ATX.

Here is the computer components on HP Partsurfer.  Scroll down towards the bottom of the page to find the PSU.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

@Old_Geekster: thank you for the welcome, the links and your comment.

I followed the links you provided and, as I understand the info in them, "standard ATX" refers to the form factor; as opposed, for example to small form factor. I did try in a couple of other non HP motherboards and my PSU didn't work. The "bended clip" test proves the PSU works. I still believe it has to do with the missing blue wire.

Thank you.

Here a picture with a blue arrow showing where I've seen a blue wire on other PSUs.

20190603_171457.jpg

HP Recommended

@Gdanielz 

As you are trying to meld a DELL motherboard into the HP case,  I had to pondered on the issue.

1) Dell PSU's are not typical ATX. You learned that the hard way because the wiring is different.

2) I was somewhat in awe that you go the front end (front panel wiring) to match up. (You did that, right?).

3) The hard drive from the HP motherboard should not activate Windows OS with the Dell motherboard.

Your creating a Franken-Dell in an HP case.  You need a Dell PSU to continue, or an adapter for ATX 24 pin to Dell. What is the origin of this motherboard.  Maybe a Dell 780?

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Thanks @Wb2001

1. Aye, aye sir.

2. I didn't rewire the front panel. I transplanted Dells mobo, psu, front panel and power button.  Before you wrote your message my son and I named this hybrid Franky... very similar to your FrankenDell.

3. It did activate. I can only explain this by saying than the Dell (an Optiplex 7010) was running Windows 8 before going out of service.

Here a pic of face-less Franky where you see: 1. Dells front panel; 2. Dells power button.

20190612_220710.jpg

In the end, too much effort for an ugly computer; wife and son are not happy, neither am I. I will be building a new one.

HP Recommended

Now I just want to pay tribute to an HP that served me well all this time, excellent post-sales service and lots of work and games done on it.

HP Pavilion HPE h8-1240t Desktop PC
• Windows 7 Home Premium [64-bit]
• 3rd Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 quad-core processor [3.4GHz, 8MB Shared Cache]
• 8GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM [2 DIMMs]
• 1TB 7200 rpm SATA hard drive
• 1GB DDR3 AMD Radeon HD 7570 [HDMI, DVI, VGA via adapter]
• 300W Power supply
• Blu-Ray player
• Wireless-N LAN card (1x1)
• 15-in-1 memory card reader, 2 USB 2.0 (front), 2 USB 3.0 (top)
• Beats Audio (tm) -- integrated studio quality sound
• HP backlit Beats keyboard & optical mouse

RIP12_19.jpg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.