Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
H8-1122sc
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Just installed a Asus Strix GTX 970, on my computer and for whatever reason, when I boot up my computer it displays my motherboards bios splash screen, and stays there for about 1 minute, and then displays a black screen. It also beeps 3 times, about 15 seconds apart during this time. Trying to access the boot menu yields no results, and trying to enter the bios menu just displays "Loading..." untill the aforementioned black screen. If anyone knows a solution to this, or if this could be a problem with the card, any help would be much appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

A 970 will not work with your PC's BIOS. The BIOS cannot be updated to fix this.

Your graphics card upgrade options are limited to Nvidia 600 series graphics cards.

Regards

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

A 970 will not work with your PC's BIOS. The BIOS cannot be updated to fix this.

Your graphics card upgrade options are limited to Nvidia 600 series graphics cards.

Regards

HP Recommended

I saw that I have to change my motherboard, thinking about buying the Asus P8Z77-V Pro, maybe it will work after that, could use an advice from you, what you think ?

HP Recommended

Hi,

The Asus motherboard is ATX. Your PC supports uATX motherboards.

The Asus motherboard does have a UEFI BIOS. So the 970 should work but the Asus motherboard (MB) is too big.

You need a uATX MB.

I don't recommend installing retail MBs in HP cases. Too many potential compatibility problems may occur.

Get a new case that supports an ATX MB if you like the Asus MB. You may need a new Windows 10 product key if you change the MB.

Regards

HP Recommended

What motherboard would you recommend, is ASUS Maximus V Gene or P8Z77-M PRO a good fit, for example? I am too fond of this case so I don't think I will change it, forgot to mention that I have also the PSU EVGA 750w GQ on it. The SN of windows is not on the motherboard, it's on the side of the case, I have to put it manually every time. Thank you very much for your time and help. 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi RomulusC,

Sorry, I can't help you on picking a new motherboard that will fit in your HP case. Some HP cases allow retail motherboard upgrades, some don't.

I have seen too many people have too many problems with this process.

The new MB mount points have to match the HP chassis motherboard standoffs. You can fry components if you have a hidden chassis standoff touching the motherboard (MB).

HP sometimes uses modified front panel power switch and LED connectors that don't work on a retail MBs.

HP sometimes uses modified USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 front panel connectors.

Some HP cases have the rear I/O shield affixed to the case.

You would have to do this research to verify the new MB will fit and work correctly.

I am fairly confident the Windows product key on your HP chassis will not activate with a new motherboard.

A new, compatible PC case solves all potential problems. 

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.