Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I see there is a Bios upgrade available. Should I install it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Here is the BIOS download that is the latest.  It is version F.12 Rev.A

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-envy-15-ed0000-x360-convertible-laptop...

Under the Fixes heading it states - Provides improved security. - and was issued  Aug 13, 2020

Now depending on the version that is installed presently.  If the present version is  Version: F.04 Rev.A, then it is a good idea to install the newest version.  If you have Version: F.11 Rev.A installed presently, then it is not as important, but could be installed.

Keep in mind that installing a BIOS update has a risk involved.  IMHO, if it is working to your satisfaction now, and the "Fixes" are marginal, then put off the update for now.  Possibly wait until the next update, if there happens to be one.  However, if you are of the mind that the "Newest" needs to be installed, then go ahead with the install. 

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

There are many PC's in the HP Envy x360  series.  The easiest way to find out if there is a BIOS update available would be to go to the support pages

https://support.hp.com/us-en

Scroll down to the "Let HP detect your product" or use this site

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/detect

Once that has completed, look on the Software and Drivers for the BIOS updates.  If the PC it detects came with some other OS than Windows or an older version of Windows, then that will make the search more difficult.  It will require selecting the "different OS" or old Windows version.  OR you can post the full model number of the PC and I can look for you.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Many thanks for your reply. I followed your instructions and it produced a long list of software and driver updates (including a BIOS update).

Do ALL these need to be installed?

HP Recommended

Well the original question was/is about the BIOS.  Still do not know the model number, so I cannot answer the question.  Assuming the PC came with Windows 10, then no - you do not need to install "all of those" as they are probably already installed.  Also, I am of the opinion that it might not be the best to install the BIOS, either.  Look at the reason for the update and see if that applies.

Please post the model number to see what we are discussing, here.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Hi. Sorry, the model is HP ENVY x360 15-ed0007na Convertible Laptop

The BIOS upgrade is showing in the HP Support Assistant as 'Recommended'.

Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

Here is the BIOS download that is the latest.  It is version F.12 Rev.A

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-envy-15-ed0000-x360-convertible-laptop...

Under the Fixes heading it states - Provides improved security. - and was issued  Aug 13, 2020

Now depending on the version that is installed presently.  If the present version is  Version: F.04 Rev.A, then it is a good idea to install the newest version.  If you have Version: F.11 Rev.A installed presently, then it is not as important, but could be installed.

Keep in mind that installing a BIOS update has a risk involved.  IMHO, if it is working to your satisfaction now, and the "Fixes" are marginal, then put off the update for now.  Possibly wait until the next update, if there happens to be one.  However, if you are of the mind that the "Newest" needs to be installed, then go ahead with the install. 

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Many thanks.

Current BIOS is F.11 so I think I'll leave the update for now. I'm a "If it ain't broke. don't fix it" sort of person in that respect.

I appreciate all your replies.

HP Recommended

You are welcome.  I, too, am of the same opinion "If it ain't broke. don't fix it" 

I'm not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.