Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Slimline Desktop 260-p037cb
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

SupportAssist identified a Bios update and I so proceeded with update.  When system attempted to restart the pc shutdown, powered down and won't restart.  I removed case cover and when I press the power button the cpu fan runs for about 1 second and stops.  I tested power supply and there is 12v on motherboard connector. I did the jumper test using green & black wire on disconnected 24-pin connector and cpu and power supply fans run continuously when power applied.  I attempted the HP Recovering the BIOS steps and resetting CMOS battery and nothing happens.  I didn't try the 'Recover Bios with USB drive' because it doesn't appear power is getting to other components (keyboard, mouse, monitor, USB ports) when power button is pressed.  Can't find any info on HAMAR motherboard (other than basic high-level specs) and whether the system supports the HP emergency Bios recovery feature but tried it anyway without success.  I disconnected all component connections from motherboard but only cpu fan spins for a second when power turned on. So, I'm thinking the power supply just can't provide the power load or the Bios was corrupted during the initial phase.  

Anyone have any thoughts on next steps?

Does anyone know if the HP slimline 260-p037cb HAMAR motherboard supports emergency BIOS recovery feature and Win+B key press combination?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Since your usb, keyboard, and mouse are not working it looks like you have a bricked motherboard. I ran into that and had to buy a new motherboard.

HP Recommended

Thanks for you insight.  Unfortunately, I think you may be right after doing some further research.  I took PC to a shop today to do diagnostics.  If they come to the same conclusion, hopefully, they will be able to restore/replace the BIOS chip.  If not, I guess I'm going to be looking for a new PC given it's a 4.5 yr old PC.

HP Recommended

Update:  power supply confirmed ok, motherboard was confirmed bricked and unable to restore BIOS.  Oh well, time for new motherboard or pc.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.