Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Slimline 260 a010
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Am attempting to add a 2nd memory module but machine will not boot with the upgrade in place (just a black screen).  It  runs fine with either the original Samsung 4GB or the additional Kingston 8GB in the lower slot (factory configuration), but not with both installed.  I also tried a Crucial 4GB  before getting the 8GB, returned that one thinking it was faulty.  Modules are all identical clock speed, type, etc.  Have spent 5+ hours with online chat support, reconfiguring BIOS, switching out modules, running memory & board tests (all passed) with no results.  HP insists the memory modules must be incompatible for some unspecified reason.

I have been told by two technicians that the machine should run with the memory in either slot.  I tried operating with one in the upper slot only.  It will not boot with either module there. 

Bad board or still more likely a configuration problem?  I've installed a fair number of these upgrades over the years and never run into anything like this.  Any rational thoughts appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

If the voltage required by the modules and\or primary and secondary memory timings and multipliers are different, that will cause some memory to not be recognized.

The BIOS in a manufactured desktop PC is unlike that of a motherboard purchased by an enthusiast for a DIY build.

You can't adjust the voltage and JEDEC specs seperately for two different memory modules. In the case of your PC, adjustment of the bus voltages, timings and multipliers can't be done at all .

That is why for a successfull memory upgrade it is best to install only a pair of identical guaranteed compatible memory modules in the slots.

There is a reason that motherboard manufacturers provide a compatible memory list and compatible processor list for their products.

If one memory module, perhaps the originally installed module, operates in either slot then that means that there is nothing wrong with the DIMM slots and the motherboard is OK.

If a different memory module fails to operate in either slot that would indicate that there is a problem with that particular module, not the motherboard. 

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Erico,

Thanks for your reply,  however my symptoms are a third scenario not in your conclusion.  Perhaps I wasn't clear in my description;

With only a single memory module installed:

Either memory (factory or upgrade) will boot the computer in the lower (factory configuration) slot.

Neither memory will boot the computer in the upper slot

With both memory modules installed, either one in either slot (I've tried both combos) the computer won't boot.

I understand this is a low end machine and am not looking for miracles, I'm just using it for basic office tasks.  Granted there could be a conflict between the modules when both are installed, however if either one will work (singly) in one of the slots but neither one will work (singly) in the other slot, the problem would seem to be with the slot, not the modules. 

Or am I missing something?

HP Recommended

The troubleshooting logic points at a  DIMM bad slot. Unfortunately, it does happen.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thank you.  My thoughts as well, just wanted to bounce it off of somebody more knowledgable before I started the warranty claim process.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.