cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sebastian_N
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 1
Flag Post

Berks motherboard PSU connector "12V_ID" pinout?

HP Recommended
Pavilion Gaming 790-0808no
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a Pavilion Gaming 790-0808no with a "Berks" motherboard, which is dead.

Im currently trying to debug if its the the PSU that failed or the mobo.

There is a connector, on the motherboard, called "12V_ID" that have the following wire colors:

RED - WHITE - BLACK - GREEN - GREY - (KEY/BLANK) - BLACK

I know that Green is PSU_ON (like a normal ATX PSU) so shorting green and black turns on the PSU. So the PSU itself seems to be running good. Also opened the PSU and checked the fuse on the PSU board and its 0ohm so the fuse isn't "half-broken" or similiar.

Measured the voltage at both the ATX 4pin connectors (with green+black shorted), and its 12.16 V without load, so it seems good.

Grey is outputting about 10.5 V, is that normal? Grey is usually POWER_GOOD on a normal psu supply, to permit the motherboard to start (all voltages are good).

Haven't found any VStandby (should be +5v at all times even with PSU off). Is grey used for VStandby?

But to debug further if its the PSU have failed or if the mobo has failed, I need to have a pinout of that connector, so I can either with my voltmeter measure if the signals from the PSU that they are as expected, or "spoof" the signals to the mobo (using a standard ATX supply) to "fool" the motherboard into starting, thus conveying that the PSU has failed.

The idea is just to get it temporarly running, so it can be deduced if I need to order a new mobo or a new PSU.

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation