Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Desktop 590-p0066
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I would like to add an SSD to my Pavilion 590-p0066 desktop.  I would especially like to know if there is an M.2 2280 slot available to do this.  I did open up my desktop but could see if there was an available slot for this.  If it helps, the Product number for this desktop is 3LA87AA#ABA.

Thanks!  Dan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Carrda,

You're very welcome.

I cannot find better instructions.

The M.2 socket is below the optical drive.

This image shows the location of the socket. It is near the RAM slots and the SATA ports.

Lincs1PNG.PNG

Regards

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

Your PC does have a M.2 socket that will accept a 2280 PCIe 3.0x4 NVME drive. A SATA M.2 drive will not work.

This socket is located on the MB directly underneath the DVD drive.

Here is a (Link) to the Service guide for your PC. Look at page 18. 

Regards

HP Recommended

Thank for your reply Grzwacz.  I had looked at page 18 of the document for which you sent the link, and when I looked at the MB, I did not see the M.2 socket.  Do you know of a relevant video, or of an annotated picture or drawing that would show the location on the MB?  Again, thanks for your reply.

HP Recommended

Hi Carrda,

You're very welcome.

I cannot find better instructions.

The M.2 socket is below the optical drive.

This image shows the location of the socket. It is near the RAM slots and the SATA ports.

Lincs1PNG.PNG

Regards

HP Recommended

Many thanks Grzwacz for your solution--you told me the type of SSD drive I needed, and showed me specifically where the M.2 slot was located on the motherboard.  After installing the SSD drive, my computer's performance almost tripled!  My restart (reboot) time went from 62 seconds to 23 seconds.

carrda

HP Recommended

Hi Carrda,

You're very welcome.

Nice!

Regards

HP Recommended

is the slot mentioned here the same on that has the 16GB Optane Chip installed?  Since i am not usng the Optane chip at all, i presume replacing it would not be a problem.  I am looking at the Samsung 970EVO for the replacement.  Is there any reason why this would not work?

On the same topic of upgrades:

Would changing the single Kingston 8GB /2666 mhz ram for 2 sticks of 16GB 3000mhz Ram be Ok?

HP Recommended

Hello, My HP 590 has a small 16SD hd in the M.2 slot.  How do I clone to a different HardDrive?  

HP Recommended

Hi TuckerC,

Your PC is probably doing Intel Optane if you have a small 16 GB M.2 drive. This drive is a cache drive only.

The operating system image is on the slow platter HDD.

Are you upgrading the slow HDD to a 2.5 inch SATA SSD? Or are you planning on replacing the 16 GB Optane drive with a larger, bootable, operating system image NVME M.2 drive?

Cloning tips using Macrium Reflect can be reviewed at this site (Link). 

Macrium Reflect disk imaging software is free.

Regards

HP Recommended

I recently got this same machine, and looking inside the case I see a few options, and someone correct me if I'm wrong.

1. You can use a M.2 stick SSD drive and plug into the slot on the motherboard for M.2 sticks

2. You can add a 2.5" SSD drive to the existing 2nd (empty) 3.5" HDD mounting space on the case.  You will probably need brackets to get the 2.5" mounted in the 3.5" space (there are just screw holes, no bay for the second 3.5" slot).  You will also need a 3rd SATA cable (one 90 degree end and one straight end) to go from the 2.5" SSD to the 3rd SATA slot on the motherboard.  There is a second power connector attached just under the existing 1TB HDD so you can power the 2.5" drive.

3. Take out the optical drive (CD/DVD drive) which is already in the sole 2.5" bay.  Put in the 2.5" SSD in its place.  Use the existing SATA cable from the optical drive, and then replace the power socket used on the optical drive (too small) with the second drive power connector under the existing 1TB HDD.

If all these options are do-able, then you could have 4 hard drives in this case if I'm correct.  If I'm not, please let me know.

Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.