Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 500-097
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Error message is "DRIVER IRQL not less or equal.  What failed:  LIC60x64.sys"    The computer now stops working about 8 to 10 minutes after I restart it, showing me the same Blue Screen and the same error message.

I assumed this meant I should update the Driver for the Network Controller, which is named as follows:   "Qualcomm Atheros AR8161/8165 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller."   Is this a correct?  If yes, then you will see below that I have not been sucessful doing this.   If no, then I do not understand what else I should be focusing on. 

I attempted to update the Driver using Device Manager, but Windows told me I have the most recent version of the driver, dated 2013.   I then went to the HP Site, listed the computer and the Op System as Windows 10:  HP recognized my computer as a Pavilion 500-097, but the HP site advised that they can not locate any drivers for use with Windows 10.   How can I ask HP if they will be issuing an update of this Driver?

I then searched 'Microsoft Update' and they indicate that the last update for this driver was 6/3/2017.   I downloaded from Microsoft Update this to my computer, but I do not know how to 'install' this version on my computer.  I went to Device Manager again, and told it to Update Driver; it searched my computer but did not find the version I had downloaded. 

On the Web, I note that many firms say that I can obtain the latest version of this Driver from them, but I do NOT know which sites to trust, and so I did not try downloading from any of these site.  

Detail about the computer itself: 

Desktop purchased from HP on December 1, 2013.  Came with Windows 7 but at time of purchase upgraded to Windows 8.  Later upgraded to Windows 10, and further upgraded as new versions were released.  Had no problems until I upgraded to the "May 2020" version of Windows 10.   {About three years ago I did install a VPN router (ExpressVPN), but this did not cause any problems for me during the past 3 years, so I assume the problem relates to the need for an update for the Driver.  Is this correct?  Could the VPN settings be interfering somehow with the Driver I am referring to?

What might I try next?   Any assistance regarding (a) What is the problem?  and (b) How do I solve the problem?  would be most welcome.  I would prefer not to spend money on a new computer simply because of the most recent update to Windows 10.   

Thank you.    SamAyl .   (Canada)

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@SamAyl Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that you are getting a blue screen error.

This model has not tested for windows 10 operating systems. Please refer to the following link.

There are no particular drivers for windows 10.

I would suggets you roll back to the previous windows version.

Try updating the computer, this will install the latest updates -

Step 1 Windows Updates -

1) In the search box, type, and open Windows Updates.

2) Check for updates.

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.

Step 2 Install updates using HP Support Assistant

1. In the search box, type, and open HP Support Assistant. 
  2. Check for updates. 
  3. If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.  

Note: If you do not have HP Support Assistant installed, Click here to download the same.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.