Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavillion 550-na103
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Just bought this computer with 2TH HD becaue I thought I'd be able to access everything from the C drive. I want to mtransfer data from my old ACER ASPIRE (MS Vista) but now find that the C drive to small and not anywhere near big enough to put all my data in. The C drive is the default drive for all computers, if I put everything in the D drive how will I be able to access them as I would if they were in the C drive. 

I am a novice when it comes to manipulating computer systems so please provide answers in laymans terms and if posible provde easy instructions on how to do this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@wb2001  Good catch on the model number.  That would also be the reason for the small C drive, - SSD

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

If the new drive is 2Tb, which is where most programs what to store data unless told otherwise, and you knew that before buying, then what is the problem.  How did it get to be too small?

BTW: the D drive on a HP is reserved for the Recovery Partition and is not meant to be used for anything else.  Is that the problem, perhaps?

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

@Dave808,

I understand your problem with the HP550-103na.

Is the C drive 128GB , and the D drive a 2TB drive?  If so, the following applies to you.

The intended purpose was to use the C drive for the OS and programs, and save your personal files like Documents, Music, Picture and Videos to another drive, like the 2TB (D) drive.

You can assign the storage capabilities to the D drive via storage,

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

@wb2001  Good catch on the model number.  That would also be the reason for the small C drive, - SSD

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Thanks. Sorry about the delay in replying. Holiday then computer issues.  I perhaps should have explained that the C drive is 117Gb and the D drive is 2TB. However when puchasing the computer they only advertise the 2TB with an SSDrive. Not being all that savvy on technicalities I though the default C Drive would be the one to store everything on.  So I was concerned that I would have to put everything on the D drive and was not sure if the fact that this is not the default drive would affect the way I access files. 

HP Recommended

Thanks. Sorry about the delay in replying, holiday and computer issues.  C drive is smaller at 117GB but thanks for the answer. That makes sense and It looks like I can made D Drive the default drive.  Cheers

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.