Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Compaq Presario
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

I have compaq presario desktop, pretty old and recently I added 1gb ram to it with 160gb HDD and resetted the BIOS. Everything is working fine but cpu fan is bit noisy, remains at 2850-2870 RPM and increases when i  play any game or use any software like photoshop. There was no such issue before any upgradation or reset of BIOS so I was wondering if you can help me out. Thank you in advance! Ofcourse my specs are 2gb ram(1gb added recently), @2.40ghz ,160gb HDD and Intel g33/31 chipset.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Ghost007, welcome to the forum.

When requesting help you should always include the make/model (i.e. p6-xxxx) of the computer and/or monitor. This information is necessary for us to review the specifications of them.

Before you reply, please check to assure that the inside of the case is clean and free of dust.  You should clean the fans thoroughly.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Its compacq Presario SG373OIL DESKTOP PC and i have also cleaned the fans. Is it related with the ram voltage that I have newly installed? OR maybe the CPU Voltage?

HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @Ghost007.

Here is the memory upgrade information for the computer:

Dual channel memory architecture
Two 240-pin DDR2 DIMM sockets
Supported DIMM types:
PC2-5300 (667 MHz)
PC2-6400 (800 MHz)
Non-ECC memory only, unbuffered
Supports 2GB DDR2 DIMMs
Supports up to 4 GB* on 32 bit PCs
 note:
*Actual available memory may be less

You should check to make certain that your new memory is correct. Since the motherboard is Dual channel architecture it is always best to install the memory in matching pairs for the best performance.

Gaming and using programs that require a lot of power will cause the computer to produce more heat which will cause the fans to run faster.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

I tried and removed the memory stick that i installed and then turned the PC on but still as usual the fan is at 2850-28570Rpm  so there's not any problem with ram or slot. Is there any option in BIOS to control the fan speed or to change bios settings to previous to somehow make fan cooler?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.