Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
OMEN 25L Desktop GT12-0xxx

I am looking to upgrade my PC's processor from the i7-10700 to an i9-11900K. After researching online, I am having trouble determining its compatibility with my motherboard. My PC has the dorado 8704 motherboard with the Intel LGA1200 socket. The i9-11900K I have is for an LGA1200 socket. After digging deeper into confirming compatibility before I installed it, the product specifications page I found at HP.com says the i9 upgrade option is the i9-10900. Do I need to purchase that instead? I also have seen i9-10900K models. I am newer to the PC gaming world and doing personal upgrades. I have done well so far with the upgrades I've made and finding compatible parts, but this one has thrown me a little. Just want to make sure it is compatible before getting into the weeds of installation for it not to work once I boot it up. Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you all!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

hi

here

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/omen-desktop-pc-25l-gt12-0000i/33492320/document/ish_4905334-40...

Processor upgrade information

• TDP: Up to 65 W

• Socket type: LGA 1200

• Dorado motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:

ProcessorTDP

Intel Core i5-10400 (Comet Lake-S) 2.9 GHz base frequency, up to 4.3 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology, 12 MB cache, 6 cores

65 W

Intel Core i5-10400F (Comet Lake-S) 2.9 GHz base frequency, up to 4.3 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology, 12 MB cache, 6 cores

65 W

Intel Core i7-10700 (Comet Lake-S) 2.9 GHz base frequency, up to 4.7 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology, 16 MB cache, 8 cores

65 W

Intel Core i7-10700F (Comet Lake-S) 2.9 GHz base frequency, up to 4.7 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology, 16 MB cache, 8 cores

65 W

Intel Core i9-10900 (Comet Lake-S) 2.8 GHz base frequency, up to 5.2 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology, 20 MB cache, 10 cores

65 W

Intel Core i9-10900F (Comet Lake-S) 2.8 GHz base frequency, up to 5.2 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology, 20 MB cache, 10 cores

65 W

this, is what is validated compatible by HP
no further information from hp regarding other processors
in some cases, if the processor is supposed to be compatible, it may work

now k version

TDP 125 W

even if it will work, you risk overheating problems, the k version being the unlocked version, is not the best option since you do not have the OC motherboard *

DoradoOC motherboard specifications

now it's up to you, but the compatible version should be enough!

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

hi

here

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/omen-desktop-pc-25l-gt12-0000i/33492320/document/ish_4905334-40...

Processor upgrade information

• TDP: Up to 65 W

• Socket type: LGA 1200

• Dorado motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:

ProcessorTDP

Intel Core i5-10400 (Comet Lake-S) 2.9 GHz base frequency, up to 4.3 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology, 12 MB cache, 6 cores

65 W

Intel Core i5-10400F (Comet Lake-S) 2.9 GHz base frequency, up to 4.3 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology, 12 MB cache, 6 cores

65 W

Intel Core i7-10700 (Comet Lake-S) 2.9 GHz base frequency, up to 4.7 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology, 16 MB cache, 8 cores

65 W

Intel Core i7-10700F (Comet Lake-S) 2.9 GHz base frequency, up to 4.7 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology, 16 MB cache, 8 cores

65 W

Intel Core i9-10900 (Comet Lake-S) 2.8 GHz base frequency, up to 5.2 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology, 20 MB cache, 10 cores

65 W

Intel Core i9-10900F (Comet Lake-S) 2.8 GHz base frequency, up to 5.2 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology, 20 MB cache, 10 cores

65 W

this, is what is validated compatible by HP
no further information from hp regarding other processors
in some cases, if the processor is supposed to be compatible, it may work

now k version

TDP 125 W

even if it will work, you risk overheating problems, the k version being the unlocked version, is not the best option since you do not have the OC motherboard *

DoradoOC motherboard specifications

now it's up to you, but the compatible version should be enough!

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

I figured that was the case after researching more and finding that page also. I just wanted to confirm to make sure. Thank you!

I am having an internal debate now as to whether upgrading from the i7-10700 to the i9-10900 is worth $450 lol

HP Recommended

so check this

Upgrade, for games, what to do, how to get an idea of what t... - HP Support Community - 8529359

may help ?

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

@hacker999 wrote:

The OMEN 25L GT12-0124 desktop computer comes with several CPU processor options, including the Intel Core i5-11400F, Intel Core i7-11700F, and AMD Ryzen 7 5800.

If you want to upgrade your CPU processor, you'll need to make sure that the new processor is compatible with your motherboard. The OMEN 25L GT12-0124 uses the LGA1200 socket for Intel processors and the AM4 socket for AMD processors.

sorry, this is completely wrong, you are confusing model and series
different motherboards

omen-desktop-pc-25l-gt12-0000i

OMEN 25L GT12-0124

Dorado motherboard specifications

Intel

now

OMEN Desktop PC 25L GT12-0000a 

OMEN 25L GT12-0010 Desktop PC Product Specifications

Moria3 motherboard specifications.

AMD

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.