Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Higos 8309 motherboard - HP Omen desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Yes on the cpu support list it only shows 1st gen cpu's. I was wondering even with the bios update does it support any other cpu's? Because I need to upgrade my cpu and finding information for this is very slim.

HP Higos 8309 motherboard for HP Omen desktop

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

hi

Processor upgrade information

• TDP: up to 95 W
  • Socket type: AM4
  • Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:
    Processor
    TDP
    AMD Ryzen7-1800X (Summit Ridge) 3.6 GHz, 8 cores/16 threads
    95 W
    AMD Ryzen7-1700 (Summit Ridge) 3.0 GHz, 8 cores/16 threads
    65 W
    AMD Ryzen5-1600 (Summit Ridge) 3.2 GHz, 6 cores/12 threads
    65 W
    AMD Ryzen5-1400 (Summit Ridge) 3.2 GHz, 4 cores/8 threads
    65 W

you can only use this type of processor!
    If not in the list, a small chance that a processor with the same architecture, same TDP, socket, can work, but no guarantee!
    What is the model of the computer exactly

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Model: OMEN by HP Desktop PC 880-p0xx

Mainboard: HP Higos 8309

Current CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1400

I would like to upgrade and it's very disappointing that I can only go up to a 1800 by the website.

I just got this computer not too long ago and am looking to upgrade the cpu and I think it will help my performance

for games as I have an Nvidia RTX 2070. But from my tests the cpu is the bottleneck to this video card.

Even with updated bios why do they not support Gen 2 cpu's. It's completely the same architecture and the chipset does

support Gen 2 cpu's it's just HP doesn't add the support in the Bios.

HP Recommended

Does anyone know where I can buy an AMD Ryzen 7 1800x? And a cpu cooler that will work with this motherboard?

HP Recommended

Well that doesn't change much, but it's the series not the model

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/omen-by-hp-880-000-desktop-pc-series/15776604/product-info
So you had already seen for the bios version ..

Sorry it's like that, it's a computer, already assembled, if you want something more scalable, you have to go through the personalized configuration, choosing your own components

"Does anyone know where I can buy an AMD Ryzen 7 1800x?"

you have not searched?
I found some, but French site, and no longer available
on many sites

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Yes I have searched for the cpu's but I haven't had much luck and I was hoping the community would have an idea where i can find one. But, I guess not.

So your saying because I chose to buy a pre-built computer I'm stuck with what's in it because HP doesn't want people to upgrade it? I mean that mentality doesn't make sense, heck if HP was smart they'd sell upgrade parts on there website and 

make profit instead of just selling replacement parts for it.

I am very disappointed in this purchase and I couldn't recommend HP to anyone after this especially since finding the proper information is hard and it takes forever for HP to reply to emails.

But thanks for your attempt to help.

HP Recommended

No that's not what I'm saying either
You have no luck with this model either.
Some computers have a much larger list of processors.
After what you are asking there is special, you want to move from one generation to another, the motherboard may not have been designed for this when it was released.
Sometimes it is possible that we can change the model, but that we can not guarantee.
You can therefore upgrade your HP computer, but with limits.
There may also be a target, why Hp would lose money in development, when users who buy a manufacturer computer, want a computer out of the box, and don't think about changing much, or even nothing at all. ..
Those who want a scalable computer will most likely turn to buildable computers.
I don't know if it's clear, but maybe they don't want to invest for a small category of people at the moment.

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.