Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Omen Obelisk Desktop 875-1670nd
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I recently got a brand new HP omen desktop (i7-9700, RTX 2070, plenty of RAM), both for working at home and some (casual) gaming and was quite excited to give it a spin. I noticed really quickly that the core temperature became very high when gaming, even when starting up older games (released before 2015). The hardfware in the machine should be well up to the task so this shouldnt be the problem. using google i did find simular problems for the omen laptops but no for the desktop machines. Seems a simular problem though. the usual solution from HP seems to either be 'clean the pc' or 'install extra hardware' but that ridiculous for such a new machine (suited for a gaming market). Anybody with simular problems and maybe a fix?

thanks a lot. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi,

The high CPU temps when gaming suggest inadequate CPU cooling or improper application of CPU thermal paste.

One hundred degree Celsius temps is the throttle point on a Intel CPU. Sustained temps in this area will reduce the expected life of the CPU.

New PC? Contact HP Support for assistance (Link).

You will void the warranty if you replace the current CPU cooling hardware with third party stuff.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.