Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy 750-239
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hey guys, I currently have an HP Envy 750-239 from 2015 which has the following specs:

500 w PSU

GTX 1660 super

I5-6400

Odense motherboard: LGA1151, H110 chipset (made for skylake CPU's)

I want to upgrade my CPU and the best CPU listed on the HP website that would be compatible with my computer is the i7-6700 skylake. Is there any better CPU I can get that isnt listed as recommended? The i7-7700 (kaby lake) has a TDP of 65W (works with this model) and works with the chipset on the motherboard. I don't know what this bios stuff people talk about...

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It is not certain indeed that even with an update of the bios, that it works.
You risk buying a cpu that will not work, replacing the processor is tricky, if you do the wrong thing, you also risk destroying the motherboard.
This is just a tip, don't take this risk, unless you can find someone on the net who has already done this successfully.

"There are 4 downloadable bios things for my specific computer "

no you have :

SSID: 2B47

HP Consumer Desktop PC BIOS Update (ROM Family SSID 2B47)

A0.20 Rev.A

Previous version

A0.19 Rev.A

A0.18 Rev.A

A0.17 Rev.A

A0.16 Rev.A

A0.12 Rev.A

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello
we won't be able to answer this question here
The motherboard, could be compatible, but we can not know, unless we find an example
I may not have read everything, but I do not see any mention of addition in the available bios
A risk to take, or not!

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-envy-750-200-desktop-pc-series/9259609/model/120...

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

So if I get an i7-7700, I would need to update this thing called bios? There are 4 downloadable bios things for my specific computer. None would work?

HP Recommended

It is not certain indeed that even with an update of the bios, that it works.
You risk buying a cpu that will not work, replacing the processor is tricky, if you do the wrong thing, you also risk destroying the motherboard.
This is just a tip, don't take this risk, unless you can find someone on the net who has already done this successfully.

"There are 4 downloadable bios things for my specific computer "

no you have :

SSID: 2B47

A0.20 Rev.A

Previous version

A0.19 Rev.A

A0.18 Rev.A

A0.17 Rev.A

A0.16 Rev.A

A0.12 Rev.A

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.