Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Desktop - 750-630xt CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The latest Windows PCHealth Check app  tells me the Intel Core i7-7700 CPU in my desktop won't run the upcoming Windows 11. I don't know if that is because the processor itself is too old, or whether my machine lacks the necessary TPM to run Windows 11. Could anyone point me to information on whether my machine has TPM, as well as any permissible CPU upgrades that would enable me to run Windows 11? Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

hi

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-envy-750-600-desktop-pc-series/17142191/model/18161467/docum...

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c05792790

nothing more

Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:
Processor
TDP
Integrated Graphics
Intel Core i7-7700 (Kabylake) 3.6 GHz Quad Core
65 W
Integrated HD Graphics 630
Intel Core i5-7400 (Kabylake) 3.0 GHz Quad Core
65 W
Integrated HD Graphics 630

that said, better to wait, and see what it will be ultimately
In some cases, you will probably have to change your computer.
If your computer works correctly in its current configuration, maybe it is better to cross out w11
Let's wait and see, if this system is reliable at least!

otherwise some info (copy paste from my macro)

Hello
the official version of windows 11 at the time of writing this answer has not yet been released, unless I'm mistaken!
Don't rush, any new version has these problems, wait at least a little bit before you start
Check everywhere if there are problems after installation or not!
For tpm 2.0, there are many sites that are starting to talk about it.
You can start by checking the general compatibility with the microsoft tool

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-11
https://aka.ms/GetPCHealthCheckApp
another tool given by the expert @WAWood gives more information (thanks to him for this find
https://github.com/rcmaehl/WhyNotWin11/releases

for TPM 2.0 to be activated with bios uefi, if it is possible
"In the search box or with the Windows + R key combination, we type tpm.msc."

look at the bottom, where the TPM version is shown. If we see version 2.0, our computer should be compatible with Windows 11 in this section.
source:
https://www.netcost-security.fr/guides/guides-tech/27213/comment-activer-tpm-2-0-et-secure-boot-pour...
possibly check for product updates

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

If you access http://support.hp.com and enter the product-name and product-number for your HP computer, one of the selected documents should be "Specifications". Either that document contains a list of alternate processors, or it contains a hyperlink to the Specifications for the motherboard, and this latter page will contain a list of alternate processors.

HP Recommended

🤔

yes, it is given in the answer

hp links and all and all
no more than the two processors mentioned

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Hi,

my intel Xeon E5 1620@3.5GHz  QC but i can go high  this is the small one basic also using the E5 2600 xeon.

I cannot see on list all my cpu on Microsoft W11 table.

Please note i don't know if all table are the same or mine is wrong,just wondering about my machine.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply. Since I already have the Intel Core i7-7700 CPU in my machine and TPM 2.0, it looks like I would be out of luck, Windows 11-wise, if Microsoft sticks to limiting CPUs to the Intel Core 8th gen or above. However, even though Microsoft's messaging about Windows 11 (and the results given by the  PCHealthCheck app) are a hot mess, there appears to be hope on the horizon for 7th gen Intel Core CPU owners like me.

PCMagazine.com reports today that the enormous pushback by users is causing Microsoft to re-evaluate its arbitrary cut-off at Intel Core 8th gen CPUs (and equivalent AMD Ryzen units). I will keep my fingers crossed that Microsoft will do the right thing for loyal Windows 10 7th gen users and itself, and ensure Windows 11 is compatible with my machine.

HP Recommended

Thanks for replying we got to wait, yesterday I found on driver new bios update May 21 last one I done was November 2020 and this  one mentioned it fix issues with PTM and secure boot. Hopefully my hp saved if not buying new one Z4 g4 next year or some to expensive right now.

HP Recommended

Is this your processor: Intel Core i77700 Processor 8M Cache up to 4.20 GHz Product Specifications

It was manufactured in 2017.

Since your computer is not too old, it should be possible (but at some cost) to upgrade to a newer Intel i7 processor that does have TPM.

Note that Microsoft will support Windows 10 until October 14, 2025 -- more than 4 years away. So, by that time, your current computer (and its disk-drive) will be  5 to 7 years old -- "ripe" for replacement.

HP Recommended

HEllo many thanks to let me know.My pc is an HP Z440 workstation, 3 years old last one of 7th generation,mean is new 

with old system,there is the PTM can Upgrade to 2.0 from 1.2. the boot secure can change on bios with uefi.

my CPU is: Intel® Xeon® E5-1680 v4 (3.4 GHz, 20 MB cache, 8 cores, Intel® vProTM). 

And of course i need change  my GPU i have an MSI GTX 760 2GB Directx11 wich is not good i need a list 900 series

with directX12. Also this machine just finish the warranty 2 months ago. Yes i running W10 pro very good fat boot

about 7 second with NVMe samsung PM981 SSD 256GB.But i am disappointing with Microsoft say this machine not good.

Also Microsoft advice me to buy Ryzen Lenovo with W11 on it. No way i will never buy that crap i don't like them at all.

I am using Hp workstation since 2008 first one was amazing XW8400 then XW8600.Z800,Z600,Z620,and now Z440.

I am just using this one for another year or some then i am selling this one and i am getting 8th generation next one.

Is an HP Z4 G4  workstation  is got i7 and i9 and all the W cpu window 11 required, But of course i will never buy normal pc 

or Ryzen acer, lenovo that just the name i am scaring i will never trust that machines.But Microsoft will loose plenty customers all my friends just told me 7th generation not good? We buy apple and Linux and good bye microsoft for ever microsoft w10 is just W95 upgrade nothing new. Also i have Mount lion safari disk software here and work fine in to my machine.And even Linux not bad i like it  but defo i will not buy W11 pc they will showing end of this year or some window 11 will be on 20/10/2021.

Thanks for advice have nice day.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.