Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion Power Desktop 580-137c

I'm hoping someone can provide guidance. I am interested in upgrading my RX 550 GPU to something better. I am a gamer who plays fortnite and I'm looking to increase my fps.

I would prefer to upgrade my graphics card to 2 choices. The Nvidia GTX 1660 and the Nvidia RTX 2070. I am more leaned towards the 2070 because its better for gaming. I want to know if my motherboard (Basswood 8399) is compatible with either card.  I know that I would have to upgrade my power supply to support both choices. Has anyone gotten this desktop to work with either card? Thank you!  

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Munchmax , welcome to the forum.

The first thing that you need to do is measure the space where the card will be installed from the Back I/O ports to the front of the case.  This will help you determine how long the card can be that will fit it.  You should always allow for enough space for good airflow.  This is very necessary with the new more powerful cards.

I always recommend that the PSU should have at least 100W to 150W more than is required by the card.  This will allow for some extra power for peak needs and future upgrades.  I like MSI cards and Corsair PSU's.

Here is a very good GTX 1660 Ti that will give you good performance.  You can look at the other cards on this page to see if there is one that you like better.

Here is a page of GTX 2070's that may work, also.  You will see what I mean about the cards being longer and requiring more power.

These cards require at least 450W to 550W to operate properly.  This means that I would recommend a PSU with a minimum of 700W and at least a 1 x 6-pin/8-pin supplemental power connectors.  A full modular PSU would be helpful to reduce the heat.  They allow you to only use the cables that are absolutely necessary.  Here is a page of Corsair PSU's that will give you an idea of what is available. 

Read all of the reviews on the products.  This will tell you what users think of them.

If you decide not to go with any of my recommendations, they will give you an idea of what you need.  When you want to go with the latest, greatest, components, it can get a bit costly, as you will see.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Thank you old_geekster for the reply. The info is very helpful.  I took note the need to make sure the graphics card can fit inside the case as well as the PSU. What I am still trying to determine is if the motherboard will support the graphics card. There is obviously a slot available for the GPU, but I can’t find info on the compatibility with this specific motherboard. Thank you

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @Munchmax!  Thank you for the additional information.

Yes, the cards are definitely compatible with the motherboard.  If they fit the space.  I can't tell from the specifications if the PCI Express x16 slot is 1.0, 2.0 or 3.0, however.  Here is the Product Specifications page.  Look at the section titled "Expansion Slots" in the Motherboard Specifications.  The description states PCI Express x1, but this can't be correct.  There is a RX 550 installed.  It has to be x16.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.