Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavillion 23-q150na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello all

Does anyone know if I can upgrade my standard mechanical HDD to a SATA3 SSD and will I need to update the bios ?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

The only thing you will have to do is to figure out what will be the best way to mount the 2.5" sata hard drive in the 3.5" drive bay.

They sell several different kinds of adapters, so I suggest you open up the PC and see what adapter would work the best.

Some folks just end up duct taping the drive to the 3.5" cage somehow.

I had to dremel a 1/4" bar off an adapter I had selected to mount a SSD in my desktop PC and it worked just fine.

It was in the way of connecting the drive cables to the drive.

I was determined not to have to resort to using duct tape!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

The only thing you will have to do is to figure out what will be the best way to mount the 2.5" sata hard drive in the 3.5" drive bay.

They sell several different kinds of adapters, so I suggest you open up the PC and see what adapter would work the best.

Some folks just end up duct taping the drive to the 3.5" cage somehow.

I had to dremel a 1/4" bar off an adapter I had selected to mount a SSD in my desktop PC and it worked just fine.

It was in the way of connecting the drive cables to the drive.

I was determined not to have to resort to using duct tape!

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for your quick response, much appreciated Paul.  Great solution to modify the chassis,  I too have an aversion to duct tape! 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

To clarify, I modified the 3.5" to 2.5" adapter, not the PC's chassis.

FYI, I used this one, but I have no idea if it will work in your PC.

I had to cut off the narrower bar shown in the top of the illustration.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817997037

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.