Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Omen 880-p1xx desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Can I add another SSD Drive to external slots?

How do I figure out compatibility?

Would I also need to upgrade power supply?

Thank you. I have never upgraded a computer before.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@DMexAztec

@DMexAztec wrote:

So I can keep the current hard drives and add another ssd to the top bay with no need to mess with the power supply? What if I add 2?

Thank you 

Yes, you can keep the current drives.  If the other bay is empty you can add 2 drives.  The top bays have the connectors built-in.  So, you don't need additional cables.  The PSU is 500W.  This is plenty of wattage for additional drives.  They don't use much power.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@DMexAztec , welcome to the forum.

What is the product number of the computer? I need this information to review the specifications of it. Please don't furnish the Serial # or other personal information. Here is a guide to help you find it: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph07555

Well, it is time that you got your first lesson in upgrading a computer! 😉  Once I have the Product Number I will help you further.

HP Recommended

Omen 880-p1xx 

HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @DMexAztec!

I actually need the two letters/numbers that replace the (xx).  You can find the Product Number by opening HP Support Assistant and looking at the bottom of the page.  You can click on it and paste it in your reply.

HP Recommended

Is this it?

2HJ47AA#ABA

HP Recommended

Yes, that is exactly what I needed, @DMexAztec!

You can add a SSD to the top bays as shown in this guide:  http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05535552

Personally, I like Samsung SSD's.  I have the 860 EVO in my computer:  https://www.newegg.com/samsung-860-evo-series-1tb/p/N82E16820147673?Item=9SIAG5B9M17735&nm_mc=KNC-MS...

A power supply unit (PSU) upgrade will not be necessary when simply upgrading to a SSD.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

So I can keep the current hard drives and add another ssd to the top bay with no need to mess with the power supply? What if I add 2?

Thank you 

HP Recommended

@DMexAztec

@DMexAztec wrote:

Thank you 

Yes, you can keep the current drives.  If the other bay is empty you can add 2 drives.  The top bays have the connectors built-in.  So, you don't need additional cables.  The PSU is 500W.  This is plenty of wattage for additional drives.  They don't use much power.

HP Recommended

Thank you!

HP Recommended

You are very welcome, @DMexAztec!  It is my pleasure to help you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.