Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Can I add an SSD drive to an Omni 27 (1200ev)  or do I have to replace the original drive? Ideally I'd like to retain the 2TB hard drive and have at least the OS on the SSD.

Kind Regards,

Brad

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Brad,

Here are the specs for your HP Omni 27-1200ev Desktop Computer and its IPISB-NK (Lavaca3-SB) motherboard. Based on the specs, this model only supports two SATA drives. One SATA data cable for the hard drive and one SATA data cable for the optical drive.

Please send KUDOs

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
HP Recommended

Yea you can add one Brad, just not as simple as it should be.  You basically have to remove the opitcal drive and use that sata drive to host your HDD.  Basically, here's the cliffs...

1. Remove HDD

2. Put SSD where HDD was

3. Remove Optical drive

4. Put HDD where optical drive was

There's somethings you can buy that help with this too, like a usb external dvd player and some case that holds the HDD in your comp properly, but tape works like a charm too.

HP Recommended

Great, thanks for the detailed response. I'll try that - it sounds like it will do excatly what I wanted.

Kind Regards,

Brad Hurley

HP Recommended

Hi all,

This SSD option is one of the things I've been wondering since I am a happy omni27's owner :-).

Reading the documentation I've just noticed that the motherboard has two pci express sockets.

It could be possible to add a ssd in one of them? I'm not sure if those sockets are free or not...or if there are any ssd that uses those kind of connection.

thanks a lot.

PD: By the way, Anyone knows any option to turn on the monitor without turn on the whole computer? it's a waste of power to turn on the computer if you just want to play your console via HDMI.

HP Recommended

Hello Serguey.  I understand you'd like to add an SSD to your system.

Hard drives today use what is called a SATA connection.  Normally, you could not add a hard drive to one of these connections.  However, I believe you could add an expansion card to the slot which would give you more SATA connections.  Here is a link which contains products which fit this description.

However, I have a feeling that this card would not work very well because this is an All-in-One unit and it has a very limited amount of space inside.

Is there a reason you wanted to add an extra SSD as opposed to upgrading your main hard drive to an SSD?

I am not sure of any way to power off the monitor with the computer on other than by adjusting your power plan's settings.  This Microsoft article contains more information about power plans.

Let me know if this helps and have a great day!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

HP Recommended

Hi,

The hard drive cage is built for a 3.5" hard drive. If you look at a 3.5" hard drive, you will note that the SATA connector is offset. If you wanted to use a SDD instead of a hard drive, then you would need an 2.5" to 3.5" offset bracket that would allow the 2.5" SSD to be mounted inside the 3.5" cage such that the SATA connector would line up with the fixed SATA connector.  I have not seen anyone post that it would work in the Omni 27.

A less eloquent solution might be to try a female to male SATA extension cable. You could Velcro the SSD to cage or try a normal 2.5" to 3.5" adapter bracket and then connect up the cable and slide the cage back into the cage slot.

Be sure to use a SSD that is at least 160 GB so that your HP recovery disks will work.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Hi, please can you tell me if you succeed to add a 2nd drive to your HP Omni PC, using the optical drive slot? I’m about to install an SSD but, like you, I’d like to keep my old 2TB HDD on the same machine. Thanks & Regards

HP Recommended

Hello from 2016.

Is the any HP solution for 2.5" to 3.5" offset bracket?

Focused on HP All in One Omni models:

HP Omni 120*  Desktop PC

HP Pro 3000 All-in-One PC

HP ProOne  AiO

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.