Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Envy 750-109
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello all - just wondering if i could upgrade my Intel i7 CPU (6th generation) on my HP Envy 750-109 desktop to a newer Intel CPU like an 8th generation i7 so I could install windows 11?  My current  setup has everything required by MS to upgrade to Windows 11 except the CPU version 8 or higher requirement.  Any help or information including any links to get in depth specific information would be appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

You can only upgrade to another Skylake processor, which won't make a difference.

HP ENVY 750-109 Desktop PC Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

This does not necessarily mean you can't install W11 on your PC, but you would have to perform a clean install and reinstall all of your programs and files.

If you want to see if W11 works on your PC, you can make a bootable W11 USB installer from the link below.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows11

See this article.  3rd headline from the bottom.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsofts-windows-11-how-to-get-it-now-or-later/?ftag=TREc64629f&bhid...

If for some reason, W11 does not work correctly on your PC, you can reinstall W10.

I currently have W11 clean installed on two PC's that I have, that do not meet the requirements for the W11 upgrade and they both work fine on W11 so far.

I used the free Macrium Reflect software to make system images of the W10 installation before I installed W11.

You may want to do the same. 

Make a system image using Macrium reflect, and if W11 doesn't work right, you can easily go back to your current W10 installation.

You save the image on a portable hard drive and the software will have you make a bootable USB flash drive or DVD you boot from to access the system image stored on the portable hard drive.

Macrium Software | Reflect Free Edition

You want the file listed on the left side of the webpage under the Backup at Home section.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply - much appreciated. I was hoping that a CPU upgrade would be possible as the same socket type is stated for the 8th generation Intel i7 as is used for the 6th generation? The only thing I am concerned about in your suggested plan going forward is stated here in an excerpt taken from the link you supplied:  "

Speaking of loopholes, Microsoft still will allow users whose systems don't meet the Microsoft-designated hardware bar for Windows 11 to install and run it at their own risks, correct?

Yes. Users who are OK with the uncertainty regarding potential compatibility issues and Microsoft's claim that it may not provide all security updates to those running Windows 11 on unsupported hardware still can do so. By using the Media Creation Tool to do a bare metal or clean install, users can bypass hardware checks "for now," officials say. (We don't know how long Microsoft intends to keep this option open, but there seemingly are no immediate or even longer-term plans to drop it at this time)".  If there is a distinct possibility that all security updates might not apply if the hardware requirements are not met then I wonder if this becomes an exercise in futility? My HP desktop is my main recording and editing computer in my home music studio and it has several years worth of software and files on it that are irreplaceable so that is why I was hoping to upgrade the CPU (and RAM and/or BIOS if necessary) and hopefully be able to get a few more years out of my current desktop. So what you are saying is that I definitely cannot upgrade  from a 6th gen i7 to an 8th gen i7 even though they both use the same socket type on the motherboard?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Your PC's chipset doesn't support the 8th gen core processors, so a processor upgrade is out--even as an experiment.

Tuesday was Microsoft's 'Patch Tuesday,' and I had heard about the possibility that Microsoft would not offer the monthly security updates to PC's  running W11 that did not meet the W11 hardware requirements.

Both of my non-supported W11 PC's got the all of the security updates yesterday, so that is good news.

I checked what they received against a PC I installed W11 on that does meet every W11 hardware requirement.

HP Recommended

So it looks like I am stuck with buying a new desktop. I only wish there was a way to clone the hard drive and copy over to the new hardware but I guess the issue is the cloned hard drive won't have the proper drivers to boot into windows 11 from a copied HD that had Windows 10 and associated drivers?

HP Recommended

There is probably a way to modify the W11 installation media so you can do an in-place upgrade, but for me it was easier to just clean install the OS and reinstall my programs and drivers.

See the registry hack for unsupported processors.

How to Install Windows 11 on an Unsupported PC (howtogeek.com)

It took less than 2 hours/PC.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.