Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
hp p6-2060a
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)
I'm wanting to upgrade a couple of components on my pc. One being upgrading the ram from 4gb to 8 gb, the other being the graphics card. Currently the pc is running a nvidia gt520. I'm looking at replacing it with the nvidia gtx750 ti strix. Reason for choosing this particular gcu being the pc only has a 300w power supply and as far as I can tell this would be one of the top cards to use with a low power setup.

Computer is mainly used for basic gaming (team fortress 2, left for dead 2 currently) but wanting to play other games but the 520 barely meets minimum requirements.

If I was to purchase the 750ti would I be able to straight swap the cards and reinstall the new software to suit. Or is there more involved that my limited abilities would handle

Thanks in advance
Kyle
5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

The nvidia gtx750 ti strix is likely to be a UEFI suport version. That means it would not boot up in your older desktop PC.

You can only use candidate video cards that have support for your motherboard's legacy BIOS.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended
I had a feeling that might be the case. Is there anything you or anyone would recommend
HP Recommended

Sapphire Technology is one of the few companies that make graphics adapters with legacy and UEFI BIOS support. 

The AMD Radeon r9 series PCIe x16 video cards have enough power to play any game on the market. They are compatible with your desktop PC.

http://www.sapphiretech.com/catapage_pd.asp?cataid=69&lang=eng

legacyBIOSsupport.png

MSI provides legacy (GOP) BIOS for updates to some of their cards.

Geforce GTX 10xx and Radeon RX 4xx cards have strictly UEFI BIOS support.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

thats good to hear. 

and just to confirm that if i was to get a saphire radeon r9 380x it will work on my pc even with the outdated bios: ami7.16 from the 5/10/2011

the reason i ask is because from my own research some models of the gtx750ti work with both uefi and legacy via a switch on the circuit board but my limiting factor is my bios being the gtx needs at least a bios of 8 or newer

sorry for all the questions if they sound stupid, im just trying to get my head around all this and dont want to be spending the money for nothing

thanks

kyle

HP Recommended

There is no such thing as a stupid question. The change in BIOS technology made upgrading  a video card for a manufactured desktop PC system no longer a simple thing to do.

Many people have had success with the Sapphire Technology video cards that have support for both legacy and uefi BIOS motherboards.

Legacy BIOS is on the way out and the production of video cards and motherboards from manufacturers does verify that.

All modern GeForce GTX video cards will boot up in UEFI BIOS motherbaords, but not in legacy BIOS motherboards. It is  just that most manufacturers have decided to put the old technology legacy BIOS suport out to pasture.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.