Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Pavillion DDesktop 550-153na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Can anyone help? Do you know if it is possible for me to be able to update my graphics card? If so what else would i need to do this?Would i need a better powe source etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Steve252 , welcome to the forum.

Yes, you can upgrade the graphics card.  The slot on the motherboard is PCI Express 3.0 x16.  Here is a HP Knowledge Base article that will tell you what to consider before buying a card: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Knowledge-Base/Upgrade-Video-Card/ta-p/7481981

Your motherboard does have UEFI: https://www.howtogeek.com/56958/HTG-EXPLAINS-HOW-UEFI-WILL-REPLACE-THE-BIOS/

So, this is not a concern.  You will have to upgrade the power supply unit (PSU).  Any standard ATX PSU should work.  I suggest that you measure the space where the PSU will be installed to assure the one you choose will fit.  It is recommended that you choose a PSU with 100W to 150W more than the manufacturer recommends for the graphics card.  A fully modular PSU is good in a small mid-size case.  This will allow you to use only the cables that are absolutely necessary.  Corsair makes very good products.

If you still have questions after reading the article that I provided, let me know.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@Steve252 , welcome to the forum.

Yes, you can upgrade the graphics card.  The slot on the motherboard is PCI Express 3.0 x16.  Here is a HP Knowledge Base article that will tell you what to consider before buying a card: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Knowledge-Base/Upgrade-Video-Card/ta-p/7481981

Your motherboard does have UEFI: https://www.howtogeek.com/56958/HTG-EXPLAINS-HOW-UEFI-WILL-REPLACE-THE-BIOS/

So, this is not a concern.  You will have to upgrade the power supply unit (PSU).  Any standard ATX PSU should work.  I suggest that you measure the space where the PSU will be installed to assure the one you choose will fit.  It is recommended that you choose a PSU with 100W to 150W more than the manufacturer recommends for the graphics card.  A fully modular PSU is good in a small mid-size case.  This will allow you to use only the cables that are absolutely necessary.  Corsair makes very good products.

If you still have questions after reading the article that I provided, let me know.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

Morning,

Thanks for your help with this.

Is this a relatively easy thing to do?, do i need to install any software/drivers in order to make this work or is it a simple plug and play?

Is there a limit on the graphics card I can fit, due to the hardware I have? I was looking at a GeForce GTX 1050 , what PSU would be suitable with that?

Will it work along side the integrated card or does that need to be disabled?

Sorry for all the questions!:) Really appreciate your help

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @Steve252!  There is no limit on the amount of questions that you can ask on these Forums.  The only exception is a question that I can't answer! 😉

Before I answer your questions, I have a couple of my own: 1) how do you use the computer; browsing, gaming, etc. and 2) how much do you want to spend for the video card and the PSU?  This will help me know what I can recommend.  It makes no sense for me to recommend a component that you can't or don't want to afford.

HP Recommended

Hi Again,

I use it for browsing and general day today tasks. But I play a game called football manager on it and the current graphics card only has 1 out of 5 the system check to run  the game. As the graphics have been improved the card has fallen behind.

I want to future proof it for a few years, the minimum graphics required are  Intel GMA X4500, NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT or AMD/ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 – 256MB VRAM.

So ideally a few steps up from that if possible.. 

Ideally under 350 but cheaper if you can😀

Again thanks for your help

HP Recommended

Again, you are welcome, @Steve252!

Here is a card that I believe will run you game without any problems: https://www.newegg.com/msi-geforce-gtx-1660-ti-gtx-1660-ti-ventus-xs-6g-oc/p/N82E16814137392?Item=N8...

I suggest reading the section in the article that I provided on how to measure the space where the card will be installed.  This will assure that it will fit.  Read the Reviews so you can see what users are saying about it.  Here is a PSU that will give you clean, steady power: https://www.newegg.com/corsair-rmx-series-rm650x-2018-cp-9020178-na-650w/p/N82E16817139232

It is full modular which will allow you to use only the cables that are absolutely necessary, allowing for better airflow.  This will reduce the extra heat that will be developed by the new card.

If you decide that these are too expensive, they will give you an idea of what you need.

HP Recommended

@old_geekster, once again thanks for your help.

Ill have a look and if I need any help, can I come back to you?

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @Steve252!

Yes, of course, you can come back as many times as necessary.  I am here every day at some point.

HP Recommended

hp does not tell you 3 things , means I must look inside.

PSU spec

• now long is x16 slot (ruler time by your hands)  vast cards slow even 3 fan cards that do not fit. 12 makers of cards.
  • and if the 2 huge PSU power cables are there.
  • NO PSU spec, so I must look at it. for watts, amps and cables , and finding new PSU higher watts is a huge pain.

GTX1650 (non super) run on any PC if it fits. (and some PCs need secure BOOT tuned off)

NO warranty answers by me.
HP Recommended

double posted in error

NO warranty answers by me.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.