Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Power 580-137c Des
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Can I swap out the RX 550 and replace with the 3Gb GTX 1060 or 4Gb 1050Ti. I really like this PC, but I think I need some more power in the GPU. With the following, do they fit inside the case and do I need a PSU that provide more power?

The Dimensions of RX 550 (128 bit) is 4.4 in x 6.4 in (fits inside the case).

The dimensions of GTX 1060 (194 bit) mini ITX is 6.7 in x 5.2 in x 1.5 in

The dimensions of GTX 1050 Ti *128 bit) Ti is 6.8 in x 4.5 in x 1.2 in

The case is 14.33 in x 6.50 in x 14.8 in.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The PCIe power connector  which comes from a cable belonging to the PSU must be plugged into the video card. The following image is of the GTX 1060 you asked about.

1060.png

Corsair's CX-450 PSU from its CX-M series is modular and  will be just right for your upgrade.

The following link goes to NewEgg.com and shows the range of Corsair CX-M  PSU's. 

Corsair is a computer enthusiast grade PSU maker and is highly respected in the trade.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139146

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Which specific GTX cards are you considering? I mean actual brand, model and onboard video memory.

Otherwise your question is a bit too general for anyone to make accurate statements about.

The GTX 1050 TI and GTX 1060 cards require more power (PCIe connector required) than the installed PSU can supply.

The cards with 6GB and more memory draw @120+ Watts and that would mena upgrading to a 500W minimum PSU.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

I am looking to upgrade to the Gigabye Geforce GTX 1060 mini ITX OC 3GB GDDR5 or the Gigabye Geforce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB GDDR5.

HP Recommended

Both of those cards would require a PSU update. Both require 1 PCIe six-pin power connector.  You could comfortably get away with upgrading to a 400W or higher PSU.

HP Recommended

I appreciate your reponse. 

So does the PCIe six-pin power connector comes from a PSU or MOBO or GPU? I thought that the GPU would be plugged into the MOBO and get power from that. Then the new PSU would provide power for the MOBO. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Can you recommend a PSU that will fit in the case or will uATX regular internal power supply will fit? Thank you!

HP Recommended

The PCIe power connector  which comes from a cable belonging to the PSU must be plugged into the video card. The following image is of the GTX 1060 you asked about.

1060.png

Corsair's CX-450 PSU from its CX-M series is modular and  will be just right for your upgrade.

The following link goes to NewEgg.com and shows the range of Corsair CX-M  PSU's. 

Corsair is a computer enthusiast grade PSU maker and is highly respected in the trade.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139146

HP Recommended

Thank you! This explains a lot.

HP Recommended

@David_Nguyen

You're welcome!

🙂

HP Recommended
Thank you so much,I saw this at Costco and I thought it was a great deal especially with the cpu and now I know if I want to play better games I'll have to upgrade the gpu and psu
HP Recommended
Hi there,
This HP destop is a great machine for office work or multitasking. In term of upgrading this PC, you would need a new GPU and a PSU as mentioned above, probably a MOBO as well for long term gaming. I found a better deal for gamers like us on Amazon. I’m waiting for the Black Friday deal, rumors the price may drop, it’s not it’s still a good deal.

Look this up “CYBERPOWERPC Gamer Xtreme GXIVR8020A4 Desktop Gaming PC (Intel i5-7400 3.0GHz, AMD RX 580 4GB, 8GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB 7200RPM HDD, WiFi, Win 10 Home), Black - VR Ready”
You could upgrade the CPU in the future since CPU tend to be cheaper than GPU. The i5 7400 is okay, but the Rx 580 is a beast. This combination will handle mist games right now.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.