Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Envy TE01-1165t
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

So I just purchased a new HP Envy desktop.  I'm planning to upgrade the RAM (from the current configuration of 2x4GB sticks to 1x16GB stick).

1.  Is it recommended to first get the computer up and going, and then switch out the RAM?  Or, BEFORE I ever turn it on for the very first time, could I switch out the RAM then and then go thru startup/setup, etc?

2. Should I leave one of the 4GB sticks in, or will that cause possible performance problems? Not matter?

Thank you!

Chet

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, Chet:

I recommend that you make sure the PC works as it is configured and if it does, shut it down and add the 16 GB stick.

That way if the add-on memory doesn't work at least you know that is the problem and not something else.

You can leave one of the 4 GB memory chips in there and have 20 GB.

With a single 16 GB stick or a 16 GB + 4 GB stick the memory is going to run in the lower performing single channel mode regardless.

In order for the memory to run in the higher performing dual channel mode, you need to install memory in matching capacities (2 x 4 GB, 2 x 8 GB, 2 x 16 GB).

The PC supports 2 x 16 GB of memory.

HP Desktop PCs - Motherboard Specifications, Baker | HP® Customer Support

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi, Chet:

I recommend that you make sure the PC works as it is configured and if it does, shut it down and add the 16 GB stick.

That way if the add-on memory doesn't work at least you know that is the problem and not something else.

You can leave one of the 4 GB memory chips in there and have 20 GB.

With a single 16 GB stick or a 16 GB + 4 GB stick the memory is going to run in the lower performing single channel mode regardless.

In order for the memory to run in the higher performing dual channel mode, you need to install memory in matching capacities (2 x 4 GB, 2 x 8 GB, 2 x 16 GB).

The PC supports 2 x 16 GB of memory.

HP Desktop PCs - Motherboard Specifications, Baker | HP® Customer Support

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for the thorough reply, Paul!  And yeah, good point on making sure the computer works as delivered first.

That's great info on the memory.  Would it be better off just going with the 16GB stick by itself, knowing I would add another 16GB later if needed?  You seem to indicate the extra 4GB stick really won't affect anything but I wanted to make sure, especially if I'm video editing (I don't do gaming).

Thanks again!!

Chet

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Chet.

Your option.

If it were me, I would leave the 4 GB chip in there until I replaced it with another 16 GB chip.

If you are video editing, you want all of the onboard memory the PC can handle, even though your PC has the very nice NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1650 GPU with 4 GB of dedicated memory.

HP Recommended

Thanks once again Paul!!  Wish every community experience was this good.  😉

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

Please reply back and let us know how your PC's memory upgrade project went.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.