Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy 750-116
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an HP Envy 750-116 Desktop and need to replace the 300W PSU with an upgrade to a more powerful one.

I've been looking at either the CORSAIR CXM series CX550M 550W 80 PLUS BRONZE or the EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 80 Plus. I kniow that they're both excellent PSU's.

My concern is with the connector the 750-116 uses to the optical drive. It looks like the kind of connector one sees going to a laptop DVD drive. (It's really small and is marked P5)  I have a spare HP 460W PSU that I could use but it doesn't have a connector that would work. So I'm hesitant to buy either the Corsair or the EVGA without knowing if I will be able to plug them in to this weird DVD connector in the HP Envy. 

Has anyone out there run into this and come up with an answer?

Bill

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Optical drives are still a thing? Wow! Any ways OP. On these newer machines. HP is using a slim drive with a proprietary

connector for it. You wont find it on other psu's. You will have to give up the drive if you replace the stock psu. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

That is very odd. The HP Envy 750 series uses 100% normal ATX power supplies, so you have nothing to worry about. I would not suggest the CX550M as a power supply, as the build quality and capacitors used in it are subpar to poor. It is also only rated up to 30 degrees Celsius to deliver efficient power. 

Here is what I would suggest. Or that SuperNova would be a good choice as well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182131&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Ju...

I don't run HP, I just like helping others!

i7-3770 / MSI Z87-G43 / 16GB PNY DDR3 / Aorus RX580 / Ultra X4 750W / Sandisk U110 250GB SSD and 2x WD Velociraptors 300GB / Antec 1100 V2 / NZXT Respire T40 / Corsair SP120 RGB
HP Recommended

It is odd. As I said, I've now looked at a couple (admittedly older) PSU's I have that I've removed from other PC's and none of them have this smaill thin L-shaped connector marked "P5" that the 750-116 uses to go to the DVD writer. I'm kinda at a loss. I guess I can cross my fingers and hope that the EVGA has the right connector.

The reason I was looking at the EVGA and the Corsair is because I like the modular design. I'm tired of having tons of loose wires I'm not using inside the PC case.

I just wish I knew what that P5 connector was. The DVD writer that comes in the 750-116 is really skinny and looks a lot like a laptop DVD player.

Bill

HP Recommended

You're right on that. It looks to be SATA and if its not, then it seems to be possible to buy another optical drive for it if you really need it. I also agree on the modular power supply, I could not live without my RM850. Lol

I don't run HP, I just like helping others!

i7-3770 / MSI Z87-G43 / 16GB PNY DDR3 / Aorus RX580 / Ultra X4 750W / Sandisk U110 250GB SSD and 2x WD Velociraptors 300GB / Antec 1100 V2 / NZXT Respire T40 / Corsair SP120 RGB
HP Recommended

Optical drives are still a thing? Wow! Any ways OP. On these newer machines. HP is using a slim drive with a proprietary

connector for it. You wont find it on other psu's. You will have to give up the drive if you replace the stock psu. 

HP Recommended

I am looking for a PSU too and want to keep the optical drive. I need a 6 pin connector for a graphics card and at about 400W.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.