Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Example: Pavillion b-209na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Coming up with Smart Drive Error  but does boot and work ok just want to replace HDD before it does fail

current Hdd is a WD 20EZRZ 2TB

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Sure, that drive would be fine--especially if you want to clone the drive.

I always clean install operating systems on new drives and reinstall my programs and files, since I don't have many.

Your PC is also supported by the HP cloud recovery tool which you can use to create a bootable USB recovery drive that will reinstall W10, the drivers and the software that originally came with your PC on the new drive.

Here is an info link for how to use that utility.

HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool (Windows 10) | HP® Customer Support

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

If this is your PC...

HP Pavilion All-in-One - 24-b209na PC Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

...it comes with a 2 TB 3.5" hard drive.

The parts list indicates that there is a 2.5" to 3.5" hard drive bracket assembly.

HP PartSurfer

What I recommend you do is to replace the 3.5" mechanical hard drive with a better performing 2.5" solid state drive (SSD).

But I suggest you open up the PC first, and see how you can mount the smaller 2.5" drive in the PC.

Below is the link to the service guide where you can find the hard drive removal and replacement procedure,

Upgrading and Servicing Guide (EMEA with shipping label) (hp.com)

If you can live with 500 GB of drive space, this drive provides the best performance for the price, in my opinion.

Western Digital WDS500G2B0A WD Blue 3D NAND Internal SSD 2.5 Inch SATA, 500 GB : Amazon.co.uk: Compu...

If you just want to replace the existing 3.5" drive for the same kind ans storage capacity, this would be a suitable drive...

Seagate BarraCuda 2TB Internal Hard Drive HDD – 3.5 Inch SATA 6Gb/s 7200 RPM 256MB Cache 3.5-Inch – ...

HP Recommended

Hi thanks for swift reply . I would love to go down the ssd line but as I have almost used 1tb on existing drive I was thinking of replacing with a similar Hdd . I was looking at WD Blue 2TB PC Hard Drive - 5400 RPM Class, SATA 6 Gb/s, 256 MB Cache, 3.5 Inch - WD20EZAZ as it comes with cloning software do you have any views on this 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Sure, that drive would be fine--especially if you want to clone the drive.

I always clean install operating systems on new drives and reinstall my programs and files, since I don't have many.

Your PC is also supported by the HP cloud recovery tool which you can use to create a bootable USB recovery drive that will reinstall W10, the drivers and the software that originally came with your PC on the new drive.

Here is an info link for how to use that utility.

HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool (Windows 10) | HP® Customer Support

HP Recommended

Hi again thanks for the swift reply . Of course you are right about doing a clean install and I do have restore disks that I made when I had the PC but I think I must be getting lazy in my old age so I will probably go down the WD route although slightly more expensive and risky. I will let you know how I get ON . Again thank you for your input it has been most helpful, I just needed confirmation regarding he best compatible HDD to install and you provided that

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.