Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Pavillion TP01-1026
Microsoft Windows 10 in S Mode

I have Pavillion TP01-1026, a budget consumer PC with 256GB NVMe SSD, 1 PCIe x16 and x1 on MB.  I want to have more storage space.  Can I just add an NVME Riser card with NVME SSD, or do I have to replace the onboard SSD and move OS? Don't like the external drive option if I can avoid it. Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@hhuangpe 

• 1 PCIe x16 for video card
  • 1 PCIe x1 for other low speed devises such as sound card USB expansion card ...
  • 2 M.2 (1 for SSD, 1 for WLAN)  already occupied

You MAY be able to use  slot for video card (it is spare now) but I don't have a suitable card in my mind because we normally use this slot for a video card.

Regards

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@hhuangpe 

Its specs

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c06676503

The M.2 slot is already occupied, if you wish to have more space on it, you have to replace it with another drive

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended
Spec "Expansion Slots:  1 PCIe x16; 1 PCIe x1; 2 M.2 (1 for SSD, 1 for WLAN)"

Thanks for the response. I understand M.2 is taken. Please confirm the 1 PCIe x16 port cannot be used to mount a riser card for M.2 NVME SSD.  Thanks,

HP Recommended

@hhuangpe 

• 1 PCIe x16 for video card
  • 1 PCIe x1 for other low speed devises such as sound card USB expansion card ...
  • 2 M.2 (1 for SSD, 1 for WLAN)  already occupied

You MAY be able to use  slot for video card (it is spare now) but I don't have a suitable card in my mind because we normally use this slot for a video card.

Regards

BH

HP Recommended

Well, Finally chatted with HP and came to the conclusion that there is no benefit going EVME on PCIe as the Mobo "might not" utilize the faster speed. For my purpose, I am going with SATA SSD. Thanks for those who spent time are reading and offering advice on this board, I really appreciate your help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.