Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion a6217c Desktop
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Can my HP Pavilion a6217c Desktop support an EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB?  If not can you recommend a better GPU than the one currently installed?

Current GPU:  Graphics Card Nvidia GeForce GT 610 DDR3 2GB

CPU:  AMD Athlon 64 X 2 5600+ (up to 89 watts)

Socket:  AM2 (940)

MOBO:  HP Nettle2-GL8E ECS MCP61PM-HM

PSU: 600 watts 

BIOS:

Brand:  Phoenix Technologies, LTD

Version:  5.27

Date:  06/10/2008

Memory:  4 GB of DDR2 PC2-6400 (400MHz)

Thank you in advance!

P.S. Old_geekster hope all is well with you and yours.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thank you very much, @ici5!  We are all doing as well as can be expected with this virus.  My wife and I are both seniors, so we have to take extra precautions.  I hope you and yours are well, also.  I have to tell you this is one of the nicest things that has happened to me in all of my years on the Forums!!

Now, for your question.  I do believe that the GTX 670 will work in your computer.  Here are the specification from EVGA:  https://www.evga.com/Products/Specs/GPU.aspx?pn=F613BEB8-86F8-49D7-BEEF-ACCEDF3675E3

If my information is correct, it shouldn't require UEFI in the motherboard:  https://www.howtogeek.com/175649/what-you-need-to-know-about-using-uefi-instead-of-the-bios/\

The only caveat is the length of the card.  It is 9.5" in length.  You should measure the space where the card will be installed from the Back I/O ports to the front of the case to assure that it will fit with space for good airflow.  If you want extra assurance, you could contact EVGA's Tech Support to see what they have to say.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Thank you very much, @ici5!  We are all doing as well as can be expected with this virus.  My wife and I are both seniors, so we have to take extra precautions.  I hope you and yours are well, also.  I have to tell you this is one of the nicest things that has happened to me in all of my years on the Forums!!

Now, for your question.  I do believe that the GTX 670 will work in your computer.  Here are the specification from EVGA:  https://www.evga.com/Products/Specs/GPU.aspx?pn=F613BEB8-86F8-49D7-BEEF-ACCEDF3675E3

If my information is correct, it shouldn't require UEFI in the motherboard:  https://www.howtogeek.com/175649/what-you-need-to-know-about-using-uefi-instead-of-the-bios/\

The only caveat is the length of the card.  It is 9.5" in length.  You should measure the space where the card will be installed from the Back I/O ports to the front of the case to assure that it will fit with space for good airflow.  If you want extra assurance, you could contact EVGA's Tech Support to see what they have to say.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

Old_geekster, Again all your suggestions and recommendations were 100% correct.  The EVGA GTX 670 FTW is a 4GB not a 2GB (my mistake) did work, it did not require UEFI in the motherboard.  I downloaded the drivers for this card before I installed the card.  The length was not a problem.

HP Pavilion Desktop a6217c Replaced EVGA GT 610 2 GB card with EVGA GTX 670 FTW 4 GB

Windows 7 Professional 32 Bit    Processor:  AMD Athlon 64 X 2 Dual Core Processor 5600+  Memory (Ram):  4GB

The Windows Experience Index – Scale of 1.0 to 7.9 maximum

GT 610         GTX 670

Processor:                    Calculations per second                                              5.8                   7.3

Memory (Ram):           Memory operations per second                                6.3                   7.3

Graphics:                      Desktop performance for Windows Aero                3.4                   7.9

Gaming graphics:       3d business and gaming graphics                            3.2                   7.9

Primary hard disk:     Disk data transfer rate                                                 5.9                   5.9

Base Score:                 Determined by lowest subscore                                3.2                   5.9

My wife and I are both seniors as well, as a semi-retired Chemist-Biochemist some of the extra precautions we take:

We both wear disposable surgical mask and discard daily, wear either Nitrile Exam or Safe-Touch Vinyl Examination Gloves and discard after each and every use into a trash bag in the trunk of our cars.  Daily take Zinc, Vitamins C and D and have a blood test once a month to monitor our immune system. 

Take care and thank you for all your help and guidance!

HP Recommended

You are very welcome, @ici5!  Thank you for the great advice on how you avoid problems with the virus.  I appreciate it very much!

The card made a major difference in the Windows Experience Index.  Thank you for that information.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.