Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 23-h024
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My mom's hard drive died and I purchased a 1tb WD Black drive to replace it, along with Windows 10 HE. When I boot from the Windows thumb drive and go to Install it says "we couldn't find any drives. To get a storage driver, click Load Driver". I put the storage driver for the PC on a Passport and hooked it up. Now when I select the driver it goes back to the Windows installation screen and only the Passport is listed (which it can't install to anyway). Otherwise, it's the same. My only options are "Refresh" and "Load Driver".

How do I install Windows on the WD drive? BIOS is very bare-bones, I think I tried every setting.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@zombi2,

If the HP 23-h024 (WIN 8.1) was upgraded to WIN 10, it has WIN 10 embedded in the BIOS.

Bet you went to the local BIG BOX, and got those items ?   I agree with the WD Black purchase, but you did not need WIN 10 Home Edition.   Do you feel "scammed, yet".  So, what did you pay for the pleasure ?  All you needed was to download the free WIN 10 Tool to a USB 16GB thumb drive (yeah I know it states 8GB, but I like 16GB).

You use the "download  tool now" and it save it to the 16GB thumb drive, Follow instruction to install WIN 10 on a different PC.  If you only put the 1TB WD into the system (did not format it) then it's simple to boot from the USB device, and it installs. Just wait for it.  When you seem a prompt to enter the Product Key, do not do it. Just skip that.  If you connected to the internet (ethernet is easier) it will auto-activate.  Any issues with drivers can be remedied from the driver support page.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

As far as I know it wasn't upgraded.  Either way, wouldn't I get the same result with my own Windows install drive that I'm getting with the factory drive?

HP Recommended

@WAWood,

How about it ? 

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Hi, @zombi2 

Here is what I recommend you try...

Download the plain W8.1 64 bit ISO file from the link below.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8ISO

Use the Microsoft tool that I zipped up and attached below to burn the ISO file to a DVD so that it is bootable, and see if you can install W8.1 that way.

If you can, I will give you a way to upgrade to W10 for free.

In order to boot from a DVD, you may need to change some BIOS settings.

See the link below for the settings to change if there is no boot from EFI DVD option.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03659945

HP Recommended

@wb2001 

To reply to your question ...

Since the PC was already running Win10, your instructions for a reinstall, including skipping the product key entry, should have worked without issue.

IF it's a Secure Boot issue preventing the detection of the Boot USB, then the instructions that @Paul_Tikkanen provided should make the settings changes needed for the stick to be seen after that. And if that works, then using the Win10 on the USB stick should then work.

As to using the DVD instead of a USB stick, my guess would be, if Secure Boot is the issue, the BIOS won't see that, either -- because that also is NOT the internal hard drive that it expects to see. But I have not tried a DVD-based install on a Secure Boot PC, so I have no first-hand knowledge of that -- so I have to defer to @Paul_Tikkanen  on that,

Yeah -- this one is a real puzzler!

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Unfortunately it doesn't have a working disc drive.

I tried disabling Secure Boot but it still doesn't list the hard drive.  

Is it possible the WD drive is incompatible with the hardware?  

How do I tell what version of Windows this was running before?

HP Recommended

Hi:

That model PC originally came with W8.1 from HP.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04074282

If you installed a 3.5" 7,200 RPM hard drive in there, it should have worked.

Only three things could be stopping it from working...

1.  The hard drive you bought was DOA.

2. You didn't properly connect the SATA data and or power cables.

3.  The hard drive controller on the motherboard is no good, in which case you would need a new motherboard.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.