Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavillion251
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a pavilion 251 desktop and all of a sudden I can't burn DVDs, burns CDs okay and recognises the writer, I have tried every solution written online but nothing works, it used to work OK but just stopped, I am running windows10 64bit. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

If you truly have tried every troubleshooting tip and you have previously burned DVD's then it could be simply that the DVD read/write laser has failed. They're are separate lasers for CD and DVD.

If you haven't already tried you can run the Optical Drive Hardware Component test.

See "Running Component Tests" section at the above link.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.