Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z420
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Can you install a Samsung EVO 860 1TB SSD as the OS/Main drive for a Z420?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

was going to have as backups two 250gb evo 860 internal SSDs to run my music sessions and audio samples

but someone mentioned I might as well use SSD for my OS drive too, I was going to use a 2TB 7200RPM internal drive as my OS drive but now I'm considering the SSD

BUT I wasn't sure if I could use a 1TB SSD or if the Z420 wouldn't accept a 1TB as a OS Main Drive.

I thought I read that yesterday and now I can't find that article again and now can't find any info anywhere

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Going to use Win 7 64 as OS, computer wont see much online use, strictly for recording

HP Recommended

I've got a Z420 using a 500GB 860 EVO as the OS/Boot drive and it works fine. So my *assumption* would be that it'll be fine. Make sure you update the BIOS to the latest version prior to installing. And also install Samsung Magician once Windows is on there so you can update the FW on the 860 EVO

HP Recommended

If it's an sata or sas drive, absolutely.  It's only the nvme drives that you can't boot in a z420.  (Technically there are a few that can, but they are discontinued.)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.