Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Example: Pavilion Slimline s5220y
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My HP Pavillion Slimline s5220y has been running Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition right up thru Version 1803, but it refuses to upgrade to Version 1809. It appears to me that either the Intel Processor and/or the computer itself has not had the support required to complete the upgrade. This is unacceptable to me and the drivers must be made available to work with ALL the Windows 10 Updates.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Was this a roll-out install or did you download the 1809 update.

As for your harsh tone -- your s5220y is circa 2009, originally with WIN 7 installed.

Do you expect it to become a classic?   Drivers are furnished only for main-stream units.

Do you have any messaging on the fail from Microsoft?   It is their product (1809).

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Windows 10 will automatically download the October 2018 Update on your eligible device if you've turned on automatic updates in Windows update settings When the update is ready, you'll be asked to pick a time to install it. After it's installed, your device will be running Windows 10, version 1809. (To check whether you're already running the version 1803 update, click View update history on the Windows Update settings page.) Also, note the following:

• If you want to install the update now, select Start  > Settings  Update & Security  > Windows Update, and then select Check for updates. If updates are available, install them. 
  • If version 1809 isn't offered automatically through Check for updates, you can get it manually through the Update Assistant.

For more details, read here - how to upgrade windows 10

HP Recommended

Markcarey225,

Nice comment, but what does it solve?  The last driver set was WIN 7.  And the unit was made in 2009.

Papa_Dave2,

I am being as kind as I can be under the circumstances.  No way to sugar-coat this issue.

HP PCs manufactured before August of 2013 might not have a complete set of hardware and/or drivers required to use all of the features in Windows 10.  That sinks your computer.  Little can be done.
  • HP is not testing or developing Windows 10 drivers for these PC products.
  • If you choose to use Windows 10 some features, applications, and connected devices might not work as expected.

2/9/19  Papa_Dave2 came back 2/8, but did not comment !!

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

After several attempts at updating, with a variety of "update errors", second level MS Support via "Live Chat" finally told me that my Pavillion Slimline s5220y was not on the list of HP computers supported (By HP?) for Windows 10. However, it has worked with Windows 10 for about 2 years, successfully updating through Version 1803. Why did it work successfully thru so many Windows 10 updates if it was "unsupported"? After lengthy "Live Chat", I finally agreed to have MS "Freeze my PC at Version 1803. However, I do not know if this means that my PC will no longer receive any updates, or just the ones that involve new features related to Version 1809. Will it still update "security" related updates even if it will not update "feature" updates?

HP Recommended

Beacuse of Microsoft. Welcome on the real word, where programmers lives on the another planet and sending down to us its own improvements 😞

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thought I would add a couple of cents to this thread.

Well, I have to agree with Wb2001 on this. You are lucky to get to 1803 using a 2009 PC.

You will get 1803 security updates as long as Microsoft supports 1803 (generally 18 months from the date of availability). Then you are done.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.