bryantobing
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

Case Replacement HELP for the xw6600

HP Recommended
XW6600 Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
I have an old xw6600 and I'm looking to upgrade the case for aesthetic purposes. I know it uses a standard ATX mobo so I'm wondering if it would fit into something like this: http://www.corsair.com/en-us/carbide-series-spec-01-red-led-mid-tower-gaming-case

I want to basically move everything into that case. Would the mobo and PSU fit?
6 REPLIES 6
TheOldMan
Level 15
Level 15
10,550 10,546 984 2,947
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Wow, pretty impressive case.  Just be careful on the mounting posts.  Make sure they are installed in the same spacing as the old case to avoid shorts to ground.  That case should accept most any power supply, but I do not know about the xw6600.

HERE is a video showing the replacement of the power supply in a xw6600 case.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the thumbs up to give Kudos! " >.

0 Kudos
RomanAspeekB
3 3 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended
This is what I want to do. Do you know anything to help me
0 Kudos
TheOldMan
Level 15
Level 15
10,550 10,546 984 2,947
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@RomanAspeekB  please elaborate.  What kind of help is important?

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!

0 Kudos
RomanAspeekB
3 3 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I would like to put the computer in to a new case and i am not sure what size case I need and if I need to do anything to the case to make it fit.

Also I have a problem with the fans as they are really loud I was thinking a new case with better air flow would help this but I am not sure.
0 Kudos
TheOldMan
Level 15
Level 15
10,550 10,546 984 2,947
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

As far as the case in concerned, most any full size cases, aka ATX, should work.  You can pick what looks good to you.  The  xw6600 case is a workstation and not pretty, just functional.  User's choice on the new case as long as it can support the extra items that are important to you.  Most full size cases can accommodate more 5.25" drives and 3.5 drives" along with extra room for interior devices.

As far as the case size on fan noise - IMHO any fan can be changed out for a more quiet version, if the user has the skills needed.  Case size has little to do with a noisy fan unless the intake or exhaust are restricted.  Fan speed is more related to the amount of noise, so if a graphics card or CPU fan is running fast, perhaps the item that is controlling the fan is dirty and not getting the proper air flow.  On a CPU, remove the cooler, blow out the dust and dirt and then clean the mating surfaces and reapply the thermal paste.
On a basic graphics card, most will only allow a blow out of dust and dirt.  The higher end unit might need/allow the cooler removed and thermal paste reapplied.

Larger cases will most likely have places for extra fans to keep gaming components cool, if that is a concern.

I'm not an HP employee.

0 Kudos
RomanAspeekB
3 3 0 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

i replaced the thermal plast and as i was doing that i notesed that the motherbord had a easy removerble fecure where the motherbord just slides out when you unscrew the heat syncs i am not what type of case to get as i think most heat sinks screw to the mother bord not the case like mine

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation