Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
880-551na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I have had this pc for about a year now, it's been absolutely brilliant and hasn't let me down but after the recent announcement of the new RTX 3080 I believe its now time for an upgrade.

The problem with the new card is that it requires a 750w power supply, the omen only has 500w so I am a tad bit confused about what to do.

I found a power supply that would in theory do the job but I would like some advice on what I should do.

Link for the Corsair RM750x :

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/750w-corsair-rm-series-rm750-2019-full-modular-80-plus-gold-sli-cros...  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@DanGolledge 

Welcome to the world of upgrade.

Before you start the process, you need to do some measuring.

1) New PSU is 3/4 longer into the case. Allow 1-1/4" for the modular cables to connect and turn. Total 2".

2) Measure the backside (circuit board side) of the existing GTX 2070. It is advertised as a short card in the specifications   

page. Got any extra room towards the front ?  New RTX 3080 must not exceed available space.

Here is video of how to remove the existing 500W PSU.

Before you shutdown the unit, you have to uninstall all software and drivers for the old GTX 2070, then power down. Remove the power cord from the back of the power supply before you remove the side panels.  Then start the removal of components, (GPU and PSU).  

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@DanGolledge 

Welcome to the world of upgrade.

Before you start the process, you need to do some measuring.

1) New PSU is 3/4 longer into the case. Allow 1-1/4" for the modular cables to connect and turn. Total 2".

2) Measure the backside (circuit board side) of the existing GTX 2070. It is advertised as a short card in the specifications   

page. Got any extra room towards the front ?  New RTX 3080 must not exceed available space.

Here is video of how to remove the existing 500W PSU.

Before you shutdown the unit, you have to uninstall all software and drivers for the old GTX 2070, then power down. Remove the power cord from the back of the power supply before you remove the side panels.  Then start the removal of components, (GPU and PSU).  

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Thank you I really appreciate the feedback, just to be clear will doing so void the warranty of the PC by any chance?

HP Recommended

@DanGolledge,

The standard warranty is 1 year.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
HP Recommended

Changing the power supply in the Omen 875-xxxx is not an easy task.  I just tried and failed. The Edoras 84FD motherboard has a square 4 pin power connector in the upper left corner of the board. This appears to power the case and CPU cooling fans. I attempted to install an EVGA 850 GR modular power supply. There is a provided cable for the CPU which is 6 pins on the power supply side and 2 4 pin connectors on the MB side. Trying either of those 4 pin connectors didn't work. The system would not power up. I've been doing some experimenting and testing and I imagine I will eventually be able to make the necessary cable. As such, replacing the power supply in this system in not at all plug-n-play. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.