Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP 24-b227c All-in-One Desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've run into a very confusing situation with an HP AIO desktop and need some help to understand what is going on.

A week ago, while I was running a backup, I noticed down on the taskbar the batter icon said "60% remaining" -- but it did not say anything about charging.  Then, about an hour later, when I went back to check on the backup, it said "59% remaining" and again, nothing about charging.

Then, I got a call yesterday from the PC owner that when they booted the PC, it said "1% remaining" and promptly shut off.

They then unplugged the AIO from their surge protector and plugged it directly into the wall switch and turned it on.  It then said "14% remaining" -- but still nothing about charging.  I spent the rest of yesterday trying to find information about batteries for this model, including searching all the documentation on the HP product page, and could find NOTHING.  This lead me to believe that the AIO does not actually have a battery -- and that left me confused.

Then tonight, I got a call again and today, the battery icon has been appearing and vanishing at random on the PC.  Each time it comes back, it reads a higher value -- until the last time, it read %45%.  We thought that was good news because it implied that the "battery" was charging and would eventually reach 100% and all would be well! 

Or so we thought ...  Then, as we were discussing the situation, the PC suddenly shut off.  They have sleep disabled, so it should not have shut down.  When it came back up, the battery level then read "zero percent available" -- but the PC still works. 

Now, they are SERIOUSLY worried because they use this to work from home and can not afford to replace it.  IF this was a laptop, I'd replace the battery -- but I can find nothing about batteries for this PC.  All we can find online are references to the A/C charger -- and as the "battery" percentage was increasing, that would imply that the charger was working OK. But now that the percentage says ZERO, I don't know what to think.

I also have no explanation for why the battery icon comes and goes, and it's not just the icon -- the battery information in Settings also appears and vanishes.  One time, the info is there; the next time, it is absent.

If this is just a "glitch" with AIOs, Windows 10 and battery functions and the PC is working OK, then I can assure them about that.

They need this PC for their job -- and I don't know what to tell them to do!

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

why in the world would any desktop PC have  laptop huge battery  , and no charging chip PRESENT  AT ALL.

there is none period and the RTC battery must never be charged or it explodes or leaks nor is it w10 monitored.

PC is 6 years old max and can fail RTC (5 t0 7 years is intel spec on it) never skip checking this RTC coin cell on any PC that show BIOS errors or clock/Calendar. or Bios acting or BIOS fibbing to OS.

or

the w10 you are running is corrupted

or load loaded with some wrong HP media  install for laptops.

cause

1: wrong  OS loaded or wrong BIOS firmware loaded.

2: OS corruption, that ive  never seen or heard but we all know there are no LIMITS on CORRUPTION.

I say

run full HP diagnostics first (hdd for sure)

the  replaced the coin cell battery , below 2.9vdc is bad.

reload w10

your post can be reduced to

taskbar the battery icon said "60% remaining", on DESKTOP. (wow) 

NO warranty answers by me.
HP Recommended

@savvy2 

The PC is NOT a standard desktop; instead, it is al All-in-One -- which are basically huge laptops powered by charges with DC plugs -- just like laptops.

And, I did not claim it to have a battery -- I only said that the OS presented the battery icon -- which comes and goes -- as do the battery items in Settings.

I brought this up because the situation is especially confusing to the PC owner -- and they are very distressed about it -- hoping to get some advice on how to deal with this.

The PC does NOT have the wrong OS (it has the one provided by HP), nor does it have the wrong BIOS (it has the one provided by HP).  So, your comments along these lines were useless.

If you're going to take the time to respond, you need to work on being less insulting and more helpful!

HP Recommended

FINAL UPDATE -- Problem has been identified!!

I restored the AIO to W10 v20H1 Bld 572 using an image backup from November and the battery problem DID NOT reappear!

I then updated it to the latest 20H1 build -- 685 -- an again, the battery problem DID NOT reappear!

IF it were simply an bogus setting, then it could be ignored.  But it also produced a serious issue because the battery level kept going up and down, and when it hit zero percent, the PC SHUT DOWN!!  It was doing this on a daily basis and while it did restart, it would also suddenly shut down again, later.   The battery level, since the last shutdown yesterday, had not changed from zero percent.

Now that Win10 is back to v20H1, there are no battery settings at all and the PC appears to be stable.  

So, this clearly appears to be a "bug" with 20H2 that treats at least this AIO as if it were a notebook and imposes  "bogus" battery settings on it. 

With this new issue, if you have an All-in-One, you need to avoid upgrading to W10 v20H2.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.