Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ProDesk 400 G6 Microtower PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Good morning,

I have a HP ProDesk 400 G6 MT 7EL75EA, with Intel i5-9500 processor, Windows 10-64bit.

I need to add a GTX1660 PCI-ex3.0/16x graphic card.

Do I need to replace my original power supply?

What about additional power/connector  for graphic card?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

either you find a compatible power supply, using the link given
either you will be forced to adapt a non-compatible power supply, which could be tedious, even dangerous!

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

hi

https://www.msi.com/Graphics-Card/GeForce-GTX-1660-SUPER-VENTUS-XS-OCV1/Specification

check what is recommended by the manufacturer of your chosen card
for example here it would be 450w with 8 pin pci connector

HP ProDesk 400 G6 Microtower Business PC Specifications

Power supply

Specification
Description
80 PLUS Gold
180 W active PFC/80 PLUS Gold 87/90/87% efficient at 20/50/100% load (115 V)
310 W active PFC/80 PLUS Gold 87/90/87% efficient at 20/50/100% load (115 V)
80 PLUS Platinum
250W active PFC/80 PLUS Platinum 90/92/89% efficient at 20/50/100% load (115 V) and 91/93/90% efficient at 20/50/100% load (230 V)

HP ProDesk 400 G6 Microtower PC - Motherboard Viewer

HP ProDesk 400 G6 Microtower PC - Part Locator

you will have to find a compatible power supply

maybe this help :

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Upgrading-Power-Supply-on-my-HP...

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

I checked the model indicated on the power supply: L08261-004 180W.

I believe it doesn't even support a simple GTX 1650, neither as power nor as cables.

I thought I could buy another brand power supply but I noticed that my motherboard does not have a standard 24-pole ATX power connector but uses 2 4-pole connectors (I dont' know if it's a HP standard).

Is it possible, not considering the larger size, to use a different brand of power supply?

HP Recommended

either you find a compatible power supply, using the link given
either you will be forced to adapt a non-compatible power supply, which could be tedious, even dangerous!

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.