Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop 690-0024
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I upgraded the RAM on my HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop 690-0024 to Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 X 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 2666MHz C16 Memory. I have read some posts on HP forums about certain RAM crashing HP Pavillion desktops and wondering if it is safe to continue using the RAM I installed?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @Mark3001!

This hasn't changed much, if anything, from my original posts.  The memory that came installed with the computer is still DDR4-2666.  The same XMP would have to be added to the BIOS/UEFI for the memory to run higher than 2133 MHz.  If the memory isn't recognized by the XMP it won't run at DDR4-2666.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Mark3001 , welcome to the Community.

@Mark3001 wrote:

I upgraded the RAM on my HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop 690-0024 to Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 X 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 2666MHz C16 Memory. I have read some posts on HP forums about certain RAM crashing HP Pavillion desktops and wondering if it is safe to continue using the RAM I installed?

Most of the problems that I have seen when it comes to upgrading memory is the sticks not running at the specified speed.  If your memory is running properly it should be fine.  You can use CPU-Z to check the memory: https://download.cnet.com/CPU-Z/3000-2086_4-10050423.html

You will find the manufacturer and timings in the Tab titled "SPD".

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

The  RAM specifies 2666MHz, but in Windows task manager it reads it is only running at 2133MHz.

HP Recommended

@Mark3001 

This means the memory that you bought is not compatible with the HP BIOS/UEFI.  HP has added an Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) to the BIOS to overclock the memory from DDR4-2133 MHz (basic speed of DDR4) to DDR4-2666.  If your new memory is only running at DDR4-2133 it is not being recognized by the XMP.

I suggest that you contact Corsair's Tech Support to see what they have to say.

HP Recommended

Sorry the PC is a HP Pavilion Gaming 690-0020na

HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @Mark3001!

This hasn't changed much, if anything, from my original posts.  The memory that came installed with the computer is still DDR4-2666.  The same XMP would have to be added to the BIOS/UEFI for the memory to run higher than 2133 MHz.  If the memory isn't recognized by the XMP it won't run at DDR4-2666.

HP Recommended

I replaced the Corsair RAM with Crucial 2-8GB DDR4-2666 UDIMM 1.2V CL19. The new RAM is running at 2666 MHz.

HP Recommended

Great!  I am glad that your problem is solved, @Mark3001.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.