Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Omen 880-p1xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Tampa2 Mobo with i7-8700 CPU

My PC came with 8GB 2666MHz RAM. I wanted to upgrade to 16GB and decided on the Corsair Vengeance because of RGB and I could control it with iCue along with my keyboard and mouse. I went with the Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB 2666MHz. After installing, memory speed is at 2133MHz instead. When I reinstall the stock card, speed is back up at 2666MHz.

I've seen many posts in many forums about the BIOS being locked with no XMP. But shouldn't that affect the stock card too? If the stock card can get up to the supported speed, why can't my new cards? Is there any way at all to get around the limitations of my BIOS?

Stock RAM 1x8GB

Stock RAM 1x8GB 2666MHzStock RAM 1x8GB 2666MHz

Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB

Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB 2666MHzCorsair Vengeance 2x8GB 2666MHz

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@RocketBeaver

Yes, I completely agree with your point. However, the stock memory is specially designed and optimized for your computer to give you the best performance. Having said that, there may be many reasons why the other RAM is running at a lower frequency. 

The memory controller will try to find the best configuration. It cant clock them both at 2666MHz for some reason. It may be timings. This is why you're advised to buy DIMMs in pairs. The fact that they're different voltages is one thing. If they're operating at 1.35-1.4v then the 1.5v stick may be underpowered and thus running slowly. To understand the root cause the computer needs to be checked physically to see what is causing the RAM to run at a slower speed.

As you have rightly pointed out this doesn't look like a limitation of the BIOS.

I hope that answers your question.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@RocketBeaver Here's a little disclaimed I have for upgrades:

I must let you know that HP does not recommend upgrades or hardware changes as the device is equipped with parts that perform at its optimal performance by design, that said, the upgradeable parts listed by HP articles are purely for your ease, as the decision to upgrade will be at your own discretion.

That's the reason the BIOS is locked, advanced options have the potential to render the device unstable if certain options are changed, which is also a reason it's locked.

You may want to check with a local tech store on using upgrades before investing on them, in my personal opinion.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

I hope that answers your query,  

If it did, simply select "Accept as solution", to help the community grow, 

And if you wish to thank us for our efforts, click on the thumbs up for kudos.

Have a great day ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for the welcome!

I understand the BIOS is locked to prevent users from screwing up their systems, especially while under their warranties. What I'm not understanding is installing a part with the exact same specs as the factory part, and it defaults to or throttles the speed, but when I put the factory part back in, the speed returns back to 2666MHz. The Tampa2 motherboard that I have is described through HP as supporting up to only 2400MHz, and yet the stock 8GB 2666MHz stock memory stick shows running at 2666MHz.

Of course I'm trying to double my capacity. Because my pc came with 2666MHz factory stick, I bought 2 sticks with the same specs (8GB 2666MHz). Only with the new sticks does it run at 2133MHz. I thought maybe it was a thing with it going into dual-channel, so I tried just one of the sticks installed in the same slot as the factory one was in. Still runs at 2133MHz. Only when using the specific stick that came with the pc does it run at 2666MHz.

If this is a BIOS being locked issue, shouldn't it still allow me to run the new sticks (at least in single-channel) at a speed equal to the factory memory stick? The new sticks literally have the same specs as the factory one.

Am I just being dumb about this?

HP Recommended

@RocketBeaver

Yes, I completely agree with your point. However, the stock memory is specially designed and optimized for your computer to give you the best performance. Having said that, there may be many reasons why the other RAM is running at a lower frequency. 

The memory controller will try to find the best configuration. It cant clock them both at 2666MHz for some reason. It may be timings. This is why you're advised to buy DIMMs in pairs. The fact that they're different voltages is one thing. If they're operating at 1.35-1.4v then the 1.5v stick may be underpowered and thus running slowly. To understand the root cause the computer needs to be checked physically to see what is causing the RAM to run at a slower speed.

As you have rightly pointed out this doesn't look like a limitation of the BIOS.

I hope that answers your question.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I see. So what I'm getting out of this is that getting my pc physically looked at will be my only option. And yes, I bought the DIMMs as a pair of 8GB 2666MHz, and from what I could find they had the same exact specs as the factory stick my pc came with.

I guess this is the best answer I'm going to get until I take my pc to actually get looked at. But I really do appreciate the help I've received here.

HP Recommended

@RocketBeaver

I recommend you get it checked from tech and he will be able to assist you in this regard.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.