Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
hp pavillion 570 p010na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Bought a new Crucial Mx500 2tb SSD to replace the WD 2tb HDD in my HP Pavilion 570 p010na. Connected the SSD via USB SATA lead. And windows would not recognize the SSD because it was not initialised. Initialised the disk in Disk Manager and proceeded to clone the HDD using Macrium Reflect 7. Cloning ran smoothly and finished after 20 mins and opened the computer and disconnected the HDD and connected the SSD. Powered up the computer and noting but the HP logo in the centre of the screen and no windows swirly thing either - no boot  - nothing. Powered down the computer and restarted it to try and enter the bios using F10 and only the list of the chipset came up on a black screen. and nothing else. Reconnected the HDD and plugged the SSd back in via the usb port and looked in disk manager and the clone was listed. Why is the BIOS not recognising the SSD as bootable?

Back when I reconnected the HDD and entered the bios with the ssd in the usb port it was showing so what has gone wrong?

I then Formatted the SSD and cloned again with 

Acronis and ditto - same again - no boot no bios access.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@STSAK , welcome to the forum.

I am a bit confused.  You stated that you connected the "USB" SATA lead.  This should be the SATA cable that connects to the Blue SATA connector on the motherboard.  Also, you should have connected the SATA data cable to the SSD.  If both cables are connected it should be recognized by the BIOS/UEFI.  If not, I suggest contacting Crucial's Tech Support for help.  They are the experts on their products.  Your SSD is recommended for your computer in their Advisor: https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/hP-Compaq/pavilion-570-p010.  Also, Crucial lists several M.2 SSD's on their page.

Personally, I would have bought a M.2 SSD for the boot drive.  They are considerably faster.  There is a M.2 socket on the motherboard: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-570-p000-desktop-pc-series/13823514/document/c05408...

You can see it on the left side facing in the motherboard diagram in the link that I provided.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

To clone the HDD, after the SSD was initialised in Disk Manager, the SSD was connected to the computer via a USB 3.0 socket and Sata adaptor lead. 

After the cloning was completed, the HDD which was connected to the Motherboard was disconnected and the SSD was put in its place - then tried to start the computer  - no boot, no bios access.

It seems it is not only me that has had this problem - https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Boot-and-Lockup/HP-blocking-SSD-upgrades-with-newer-systems-an...

This is exactly what happened after i connected the SSD to the mother board nothing.

Pressing Esc when booting results in a screen displaying a summary of the computer's components but the blue selectionscreen (from which to go to bios, select boot device etc) will not pop up and the computer freezes at this point.

When the original harddisk is connected the system boots up normally and the blue selection menu (Esc at boot) will show and work. Other SSD's, the 860 Evo and the Crucial MX300 did not work either.

HP Recommended

The SSD was connected to the computer Via a USB 3.0 socket and Sata lead. The SSD was then initialised in Disk manager and the HDD was then cloned to the SSD via the uab/sata lead.

After the cloning, the HDD was disconnected from the Motherboard and the SSD was put in its place and the computer was restarted - noting no Boot No bios access.

It seems it is not only me who has had this problem - https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Boot-and-Lockup/HP-blocking-SSD-upgrades-with-newer-systems-an...

So am still stuck with an SSd that wont boot.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @STSAK!  I suggest that you contact Crucial's Tech Support to see if they can help you solve your problem.  They are the experts on their products and have no doubt seen similar problems.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.