Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP 550-103na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have lost D:Drive. I accidently switched the power off on my extension lead whilst PC was running.

When I turned back on I noticed that D-Drive was missing,when i go into disk management it says disk 1 isn't initialised.

It won't let me initialise it either.

I have checked inside tower to see if any cables had come loose and everything is fine.

Can anybody help or offer any advice please.

Thanks in advance.

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

@Stewart4,

What are you describing an as "extension lead". Were you accessing the drive (data-wise) when you switched-off the power to the lead?    See Solution 2: Rebuild MBR  here

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Thanks for replying @wb2001

I have my monitor,tower,printer etc plugged into an extension lead/cable.

I was playing football manager 2019 game when I accidently switched off the extension lead,upon turning back on I noticed programs that were on D;Drive the apps were blank so I went into disk management and D:Drive was no longer there.

All it says is disk 1 not initialised and it won't let me initialise it.

HP Recommended

:Hi,

I have tried to rebuild MBR  as you kindly recommended but disk 1 where D:Drive was located in not listed in Minitool partition wizard,Just Disk 0 with C:Drive and everything on C:Drive is unaffected

When I click on disk management and onto Disk 1 it does not display any available memory,also if I try to initialise it says 'the specified disk is not convertible because the size is less than the minimum size required for GPT disks.

HP Recommended

@Stewart4,

GPT is nominal with disks in the 4+ GB range.  If you initialize the disk, all data will be lost.   NTFS is used with that drive.

I would contact this product, and inquire about their stated guarantee. You could test their free version. It is limited in files retrieved (offered) but it would give you a test of what is possible.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Thanks for replying to my message @Wb2001

I have tried a few different data recovery/partition recovery programs but my D:Drive doesn't even show up in them.

The only visible is Disk 1 through disk management and that it says not initialised and offline,i cannot initialise or get it online.

The product is out of warranty.

I am not really computer tech savvy,so in your opinion is the hard drive corrupted and unrepairable please.

I'm aware that even if I could initialise I would lose data but the only thing I had on D:drive was the game I was playing so i'm not bothered about that I just want to fix issue.

Thank you for your continued help,Much appreciated.

HP Recommended

@Stewart4,

As data salvage is not an issue, I would initialize the drive with MBR, not GPT.

Can you access the D drive from File Explorer. If so,  check for errors via properties. (D drive tight click menu).

If that can not be done, you could try to format it from File Explorer (D drive tight click menu).

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
HP Recommended

@Wb2001

It won't let me initialize with MBR either.

Only C:Drive shows up on File Explorer.

HP Recommended

@Stewart4,

While in Disk Management, do you see any option to format? When you click on the partition, what options?

@Paul_Tikkanen,

Do you have any suggestions? Drive will not initialize. and not see via File Explorer.

It is seen via Disk Management, but will not initialize.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
HP Recommended

Hi, @wb2001 :

Unfortunately, I do not.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.