Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Compaq DC7800 Minitower
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi there,

I have an old DC7800 Minitower that I'm trying to install two gpus into. The first one is a GTX 1080 which plugs straight into the PCIe x16 slot on the motherboard. When I start the desktop with this gpu the system runs perfectly and outputs to the display through this gpu without any errors. I then install a second card, GTX 1050 ti using a riser (PCIe x16 to x1) inserted into the PCIe x1 slot. When I start the computer with this gpu also installed I get the blue screen of death which just keeps rebooting. When I just have the GTX 1050 ti install into the PCIe x16 slot the computer runs fine and the drivers are recognised. It's only when I have them both plugged in the computer boots into the blue screen of death. Does anyone know a fix for this. I read somewhere that turning "4G decoding" on in the BIOS sometimes fixes issues like this, however this computer doesn't seem to to have this option in the BIOS? 

Any suggestions are welcomed, thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello
Port 1x is probably insufficient, the adapter may not do everything!
moreover if your power supply is insufficient you cannot install 2 graphics cards as powerful
You would be better off installing a more powerful graphics card, than two totally different ones if your power supply allows it.

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Thanks for your response. I forgot to mention that I have a separate 750w power supply powering the GTX1080 and powering riser which powers the GTX1050 ti. The new PSU is connected with a splitter so the HP power supply is still powering the motherboard but they both turn on the same time when starting the Desktop. I don’t think this would a the cause of issue due to to there being plenty of power from the new PSU but I could try connect the new PSU to the motherboard aswell

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.