Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy Desktop 750-514
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Problem #1 My computer is only a few months old, and I'm trying to use the DVD/CD drive for the first time.  When I put a disc in, the drive makes noise like its working, but nothing else happens.  AutoPlay does not begin even though it is set to.  The DVD/CD drive does not appear to be recognized by the computer.  It is not listed under This PC, Devices and Drives.  Please help!

Problem #2  I have been trying for days to use the Customer Support CHAT feature to get help with the problem listed above.  CHAT is shown as an option, I click CHAT now, then I enter all the information and describe my problem, THEN AND ONLY THEN, am I notified that "Chat is currently unavailable.  Please try again later."  HP, this is frustrating.  When IS chat available?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Okay, problem solved.  It turns out that the SATA cable for the DVD drive was not plugged in.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Also, in System Information, when I click on CD-ROM, there is nothing displayed in the window, as if there were no CD-ROM drive.

HP Recommended

Hi,

HP's support number is 800-474-6836 or 800-HPINVENT.

HP Case Initiation Page

HP chat seems to be on banker's hours.:smileyfrustrated:

Power cycle your PC and tap the ESC key multiple times until you can bring up the BIOS menu. Try the diagnostics (F2). Update the diagnostics first before running them to ensure that you have the latest diagnostic routines.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Can you give me the URL for live chat?

HP hides it so well even Google can't help me find it....grrrrrr!

HP Recommended

Okay, I ran diagnostics.  It says NO OPTICAL DRIVE DETECTED...

HP Recommended

@Xuzo1

https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp is where you start

HP Recommended

Okay, problem solved.  It turns out that the SATA cable for the DVD drive was not plugged in.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.